Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I'm hoping someone can help.

I bought a 97 TLS with nothing cept the
forks and clip ons in the front.

Since I have to buy new headlights and front
fairings I figure I may want to try and throw
on the ducati front. Like the 998 style.

I saw an awesome gsx-r conversion someone had
so I'm wondering if anyone knows of someone who
tried the DUC version.

Is it too pretentious?
Will I be flamed to no end because I like Ducs?

well I'll wait for the flaming it's to be expected,
but while your flogging me bits of advice would be nice.

thanks in advance

James

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I've read quite some magazines with altered bikes and my point of view is that you can mix almost everything on bikes! But it depends on how skilled you are, how many skilled people you know or how much money you have and like to spend.

Fairings are relatively easy to change with the right brackets and such. Heck, you might even wanna change the tank. But that probably requires special brackets, and fitment over the airbox (or make another one, catch my drift?) not to forget the fullpump issue. Which might be easily solved with a external one.

Besides al that.. you don't wanna have everything on there just for that. Is has to be estheticaly right cause that's where you do it for!

·
Registered
782 Posts
i like ducs too, there was a thread a while ago with someone's photoshop paint scheme was similar to a duc. i agree with loki on the conversion. the ease is going to depend on where they mount, and how much you need to make to make it fit. i just finished fitting a tz250 tail to a tlr subframe and all it took was a grinder and a drill press, ground off the back half of the subframe, two 2.5" brackets and three holes (not into the tubing) and all is well.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i like ducs too, there was a thread a while ago with someone's photoshop paint scheme was similar to a duc. i agree with loki on the conversion. the ease is going to depend on where they mount, and how much you need to make to make it fit. i just finished fitting a tz250 tail to a tlr subframe and all it took was a grinder and a drill press, ground off the back half of the subframe, two 2.5" brackets and three holes (not into the tubing) and all is well.
Lets have a see...(pics):O Sounds like that would look pretty cool

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Depending on how far you would wan't to change your TL into a Duc. Have a thought about putting the TL motor in a Duc frame. As you will have everything in place except engine/tb/airbox/exhaust/dashboard/electronics/sprocketalignment :confused

Either way I no easy job I guess :laugh

:)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've seen a pic somewhere of a TL with 916 style clothes, don't remember who or where though:confused

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Yep, I remeber that one too, but I also remeber a TL with duc plastic from a looong time ago. Still had the TL frame and tank IIRC.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
^^That'll confuse some people :laugh

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
cool site

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Thwre's a Terry Shephard frame in the for sale listings. I probably didn't spell that right...but that's pretty Duc-ish trellis yet an easy drop-in.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If i'm not mistaken that last pic is a picture for Rhencullen who can supply you with the right brackets to fit a TL motor into the Duc frame.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Do Rhencullen still make the conversion brackets?...Someone once was going to sell me the CAD drawings for them but his asking price took the pizz!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts