TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I realize this isn't a Duc forum but I know a few people here own them so I'll get to it; Was wondering what the height above the axle the pivot point on the Ducati SSSA (996-998, 748 all use the same swingarm).

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Do you mean, the height above the axle to the rocker pivot point on the Ducati SSSA.

Taking a guess if you mean that swingarm in a TLR, besides to wide at the pivot,you would not get the upper rocker,height adjuster to fit.
It does not fit in a TLS either (300mm OEM Ducati shock) even though it has been done in a fashion by ??.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Not sure what you are doing/asking but print off the Duc pic below, have a quick search on the web for the wheel base and then you can pro rata the various dimensions.

The 2nd pic is when I was working out the room needed to acomodate the rocket assembly on full bump etc

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Les, I'm in the process of designing/building a frame and I'm trying to get the suspension geometry right for the little Öhlins that comes along with it. I'm not exactly sure but rocker pivot sounds like the measurement I'm shooting for. I included a little picture of the measurement.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
That would be swing arm angle I think, it will depend on whether you measure with the suspension fully extended, partially compressed or fully compressed. Even then on some bikes it is adjustable independently of sag.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Les, I'm in the process of designing/building a frame
:hail

A while ago I searched the forum with 'Tony Foale' and some of your posts came up. Have you read the book yet? I still need too!

I'm really interested in where this is going and what you have in mind! :yes

edit: I have a TLR in bits now.. so post up when you need frame measurements.. I might be able to provide some!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm looking for the measurement with the suspension loaded with the natural weight of the bike. I have the thing on a jig and I can adjust it until I find the correct height anyway. I'm just looking for a baseline.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone must have one they can just measure up real quick to give me an idea of where to start?

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Like I said before, read the manual to get the wheel base of a stock TLR and using the picture you posted draw a pencil line through the wheel centres and measure from the line up the the centre of the swingarm pivot and then pro rata the measurements.

That will be much more acurate than somebody trying to hold a tape measure and spirit level whilst also holding the bike upright under it's own weight :O

You can do it in 2 mins flat :confused

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
I see what you are asking.
BTW in most situations this pivot is also the same height as the engine sprocket centre line, tho there are reasons to change this. For drag racing the sprocket can be lower. now for better wheelies you can raise it above. just another thing to consider.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like I said before, read the manual to get the wheel base of a stock TLR and using the picture you posted draw a pencil line through the wheel centres and measure from the line up the the centre of the swingarm pivot and then pro rata the measurements.

That will be much more acurate than somebody trying to hold a tape measure and spirit level whilst also holding the bike upright under it's own weight :O

You can do it in 2 mins flat :confused
I thought of this but the problem is scaling, I could do this and then use the wheel diameter as a reference so I know how much to scale up the measurement I come up with but the problem is pixels are only so small and the scale up could still make it off by a few units.

The Ring-In said:
I see what you are asking.
BTW in most situations this pivot is also the same height as the engine sprocket centre line, tho there are reasons to change this. For drag racing the sprocket can be lower. now for better wheelies you can raise it above. just another thing to consider.
Awesome, thank you - I'll start from this and figure it out since Ducati made the upper mounting point semi-adjustable. I'll throw up some pictures of what I have a little later.

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
I have a complete SR4S swing-arm/cush/sprocket/rotor/caliper I might consider parting with - PM me if interested.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
How far is that being off from fitting well, if I may ask :O
If you mean this it was fitted back in 2003,i put a thread up somewhere showing how i cut the frame lugs and lapped the working surfaces.
(The cutting pics will be gone as it was my first photobucket account that vanished. :confused)
It is not hard to do on a TLS but the TLR is a no go i think.
The thing with a TLR frame is you can combine a RHA (depending on the coil over shock used) with pivot eccentrics,that way the swing arm angle can be adjusted independent of the ride height because the angle can be changed or not rotating around the lower shock mount. :devious which comes back to what Stu said about sprocket height.
The MV swingarm might be viable in a TLR depending on the pivot width.

I used swing arm angle and projected travel to suit a TLR Ohlins with no rising rate to set it up.
Old news now,i am more interested in ADV riding these days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts