TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets try and solicit some opinions.

I have the chance to buy a 95 well maintained 916....got to sell the tl for it though...

Should I do it?? What do you think and why....

:O

·
Registered
650 Posts
I would advise against it if you have to sell the TL to do it. The TL motor (either R or S) absolutely stomps the Duc motor into the ground as far as power and torque, and is easier and cheaper to maintain. Also, buy an aftermarket shock for your TL and have the front and rear suspension set up properly by a suspension tech for your weight and it will handle well enough to run with a stock 916. However, if your priority is the flash of an Italian bike, do what you have to do but the TLs have a lot more personality in my opinion

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
not sure about where you live but the servicing costs for the duc's are very very high, a mate had a 7.000 mile service on his 749 and it cost £700.00 here in the uk, replaing the cam belts and valve clearances are very time consuming, and need doing frequently, if you can afford it try one but i'll bet you will prefer the tl even though the duc probably handles a lot better, I'm 6ft 4 and the ducs are far too small for me,

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The duc is going for 6000.00 with an ohlins, rearsets and termigs.

My tl has an ohlins, fork work, yosh rs3s, attack rears, and power commander

The Duc is very well maintained as is my tl.......both with similar mileage.

I have ridden a 748 on the track during an endurance race..nice riding bike.

Thinking about it hard....love the Tl....not racing.....Ducs however are nice and collectible. Valve service though....OUCH!

In the long run....which bike do you think will have better overall availability of parts.....say in the event of a crash?

Anybody know how much one of these actually weigh??

THANKS!!:)

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Get it. The TL may work better in some ways but the Duc is a much better investment long-term (though maintenance may be high). There will always be more parts (stock and aftermarket) for the Duc than TL IMHO. It's a true collectable, a classic that might increase in value from this point. It's immediately recognizable and nearly universally lusted after.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cyclecamper,

I agree with a lot of what you've said....and thats where my dilema comes because I really do like the TL.....on the other hand I am worried about dumping it a couple years down the line and not being able to find parts for it.

As far as an investment....I may be wrong, but Ive kind of noticed that some bikes hold their value at a certain point but dont really appreciate all that much.

Ill stew a bit more????

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'm not sure why there would be more parts available for a 916 than a TL, the 916 wasn't produced for that many more years than the TLR for example. I'm not disagreeing with you but I tend to think that, without any documentation to back this up, there was probably more TLs produced overall than 916s worldwide. It would be interesting to find out for sure, but if this is the case then there will probably be more parts for those TLs. Also, the cost of parts will always favor the Japanese bike, and as for collectability, if you're planning on riding it in any kind of way other than once a week slowly, it won't hold it's value that well anyways. Again though, if the bling factor/status is what you are looking for the Duc is the winner hands down. I guess it comes down to opinion and if I someone right now offered me a stock TLR or a stock 916 for the same price, I would take the TLR. Am I crazy? :dowhat

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
I would say it really depends on what you want. I personally am not a huge Ducati fan, so for me I wouldn't do it.
My brother just sold his 95 916 and bought a 2006 CBR 1000. He says he misses the Ducati now. I don't miss having to deal with the thing breaking down every other ride, but there you go.
The maint is quite a bit more involved and more frequent, but if you can do it yourself it wouldn't be so bad.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
It depends on what ya like and what kind of riding you like to do. The Duc will be higher maintence, less powerful and less comfortable than the TL but it is drastically better looking than a TLR and drastically better handling than a TL will ever be short of a TS frame.

If you relish a slim, nimble precise handling bike and can live with the rest go for it:thumbup

Or if you buy a bike for looks or cool factor then by all means jump on it and be the coolest guy at starbucks:lol

but seriously, I dig ducs, they are sweet bikes and I wish suzuki would learn to copy them a bit better in terms of styling and chassis design but I wouldn't trade my TL for one due to comfort and maintence requirements (but then I put 20k a year on my TL).

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
always a fan of owner maintanence if you learn the ins and outs i would say go for the Duc but i still prefer my TL as it is becoming slowly a one of a kind bike worth more to me than just about any other bike on the market...main reason i bought it ...modability...spent to much up till now but always something else to do..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Njdelaney

Using the universal indicator known as ebay. A search for the ducati 916 in the US does seem to pulls up more, 384 vs 150 for a TL. Worldwide 770 vs 238.

Thats not to say that you arent right about production numbers though...because I also really dont know.

You arent crazy for choosing the TL......Im pretty much still thinking about it and im not yet convinced either way. In fact...more than likely will keep the Tl.

Ryno....I get where you are coming from....matter of preference!! The bikes, at least to me are fairly close in character...both have a degree of exclusivity...close power delivery and handling characteristics....image is a bit different though.

BTW thanks to all for helping/letting me process!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bike pilot!!

I like starbucks!! Hmm....never rode my bike there though...whats it like?? JK :)

Im also a fan of doing ones own maintenance! But as I gotten older...time is tighter....I think?? Nah! might just be getting slower and more lazy.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
lol, I dig starbucks too and I have ridden there. In fact I used to carry a nalgine bottle with me so I could fiill it up and take it with me on the bike:D

I'm rather put off that they cancled my favorite winter drink though:rant

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...I'd only get the Duc if you can keep your TLR at the same time...(that way you'd have something else to ride when your doing maintanence on the Duc)...

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
I have been looking at a second bike. Really want a sport-tourer, but have had a resurgance in a Duc. I had a 99 900SS and the only thing it needed was more power. NOT a 916, but definately had some upsides and downsides.

Suspension. Not even close. My 900ss turned like it was on rails. TLR needs to be muscled around.
Motor. Well, stock the Duc may be a step or 2 behind, but is not dog at all.
Maintanence. Duc will need it, TLR will not. Relatively speaking of course. The Duc will cost more overall parts, etc.
Looks. TLR looks good, but I think a 916 just is a bada$$ looking bike.
Investment. I think the Duc would end up a better investment.
Comfort. I did 270 miles today in the mountains on the TLR, my back and wrists hurt. Cant imagine the Duc would be worse or better.

For me, the imperfections are what makes the Ducs such a special and unique motorcycle. Sort of like the ex-gf who was such a pain, but so much more fun.

I would get the Duc.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
916 is a sexy beast :drool but it's one of those bikes I think it's better to dream about owning than actually having :) it'd be a weekend warrior for me I think ... I'd need a commuting hack too :(

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Well, my .02 cents goes like this...

Ducati used the rule of twin cc displacement vs. 750cc of I4's to their advantage and the 916 was THE bike in the crosshairs when Suzuki developed the TL series. So, on paper, both the S and R model should spank the Duc. So if you're staying on a strictly performance side, then I'd stick with the TL.

Now, the "if money were no object" answer would be, get the 916. As much as I believe in the cult factor of the TL, the Ducati 916 (my all time favorite bike, just don't tell MaryJane) is already in the hall of fame of motorcycling and will definitely be a collectors item in the future. Sure, there's maintenance and all that, but anyone that owns a bike period should be doing maintenance, just for safety. My TL begs for maintenance, but I know she does it out of love wants me to be safe...but I digress.

If you plan on owning it for many many years, then I'd say go for it, cause the resell value won't drop too much and if you keep it long enough, maybe it will actually appreciate in value. The rub is anything outside of an oil change is going to be way more expensive for the Ducati. My mantra for the Duc has always been until I can afford the maintenance, at the dealer, I can't afford the bike.

I also think, that if you have to ask, then you probably shouldn't. There's something way back in your mind telling you that.

Good luck either way, and let us know what happens,

C

1 - 20 of 34 Posts