TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all have a question. i have found a drz and wr for the same price and miles 400cc engines. In your opinion which one would make a better all around bike (motard-street-trail).. THANKS

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
They have similar specs, but are very different bikes. The WR is a detuned MX race bike (virtually everything is the same as the YZF400), the DRZ is a friendly trail bike (designed to be so from the ground up). The WR's chassis is much stiffer, the engine revs higher and makes quite a bit more power. The WR will need more frequent maintenance, but most people are unhappy with the performance of a stock DRZ and by the time you get a DRZ making WR power levels maintenance requirements are probably pretty similar. The DRZ is smoother and more street friendly.

For relaxed all around riding, including a substantial amount of street time the DRZ is probably the best bet (also, which DRZ are you talking about as for example the difference between the K and S model is quite large). For mostly off road riding or SM (as in tracks) the WR will have the advantage.

I would probably look for a 426 model WR if it were me btw. They shaved a few lbs, added a bit more hp and as best I can tell require no more maintenance. The e-start WR's had some issues with the e-start system but I don't recal what they were. I think there's a simple fix though, but I'd probably look for a kick start version.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Depends if it is a DRZ Kicker model or not. The DRZ kickers are closer to the WR in weight and they rev quicker than the E model DRZs. Both off road DRZs are much snappier than the "S" model by virtue of the FCR carb on them. The WR has the FCR also.

The WR is a bit faster but not dramatically so, the DRZ is probably a bit more low maintenance as it holds more oil than the WR and the DRZ engine is a bit overbuilt. Of course this makes the DRZ lump a bit heavier too. Condition of the bikes themselves would be the biggest deciding factor to me.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Yeah, but pull the throttle stop out of the WR and put the cam in the right way (its one tooth off from the YZF config) and you've got YZF400 power:deal But the big difference to me anyway is the feel of the bikes. DRZ's feel squishy, relaxed and comfortable, the WR/?YZF feels like a hard core MX bike. The seat is thin, flat and hard, the suspension is fairly stiff etc. To be fair I've a lot more time on the 426 and 450 than the 400, but I don't think the 400 is terribly far off the 426. The 426 was a pretty killer woods bike. A bit slower revving than the 450 (and they are super cheap now), but still more power than I needed. I had a friend in the MC club growing up who was a die hard four stroke guy (this in the early-mid 1990's). When I had a YZ80 he had an incrediably pimped out XR100 (his dad was a machinist/engineer and spent probably hundreds of hours building his bike up), then he moved to an XR250, then a YZF426 (may have been a YZF400 in between for a yr, I'm not sure now). Anyway, I was on a YZ125 when he was on the 426. We were dead even in the woods, but I'd pass him on corner entry then he'd pass me on corner exit, then we'd swap bikes and I'd be back to the truck and have eaten lunch before he came along:laugh the 426 was so easy to ride there was almost no learning curve (provided I didn't have to start it), the small bore two stroke not so much:devious

·
Registered
722 Posts
Is the WR400 the same tempermental beast the YZF400 is? Hot start reluctant, engine dies easily decelling or braking going into a berm or such?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Its essentially the same as the YZF, I don't know that the YZF is temperamental though, at least no worse than most any other four stroke. It certainly doesn't stall on decel and do all you say if its even close to setup properly. I'm sure it would do all that if the jetting were sufficiently screwed up. Hot starting is easy enough with a hot start button.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've personally not owned any of the modern 4-stroke MX bikes, just heard alot of the bitchin' and complainin' from those that have. The 426 and 450 seem to not have the issues the 400 did. I'm no Honda fan but the CR450F seems to be just dreamy to ride. I've heard this from lifelong YZ250 and KX250 riders alike. Just my 2 cents.

Why did so many have problems with the 400? What all is required to make them more reliable?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
There's nothing unreliable about the 400. The carb wasn't initially equipped with a hot start button, but they are readily available on the aftermarket. The main reason people whined about it is because it was the first competitive four stroke and all the two stroke guys (like myself) were clueless as to how to operate the thing. The CRF is a bit easier starting and I think uses an automatic decom mechanism. With the YZF400 you've gotta know how to start a four stroke, but folks who had experience with four strokes that I knew had no problem starting them at all. But in the end the 400's only real fault was that there were almost no MX riders at the time that knew four strokes. By the time the 450's came along everyone had cut their teeth on the 400 and 426 so there was a lot less whining.

All the new 450's are pretty incredible to ride. They make a ton of power, but make it in a very smooth controllable manner. It really takes a lot of the skill/fun out of riding imho. Clearing a big triple right out of tight corner on a 125cc two stroke is a true accomplishment, on a 450 you just twist and go. Eventually I'll probably have to switch to four strokes as 2-strokes go longer and longer without any development, but for now I like my pingers:D

·
Registered
722 Posts
That makes alotta sense. Kinda like the bad rep the TLS got as being the "Widow Maker" without a steering damper. Sometimes its just the little things.

A buddy of mine whom had one told me that the stock exhaust made the best power and every aftermarket system actually killed some power. This may not be true now but for the first few years this seemed to be so at least according to him. He tried two different set ups but went back to OEM and said it worked the best. He said most went back to stock after experiencing the same thing.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
That's generally true for all MX bikes. The aftermarket systems sometimes save a little weight and can often move the power around, but the stock exhaust systems are really good. MX bikes are a lot different than street bikes as they are designed to win races from the ground up. No significant DOT or EPA requirements or need to make it last 200k miles.

·
Registered
769 Posts
My '99 YZF400, great bike for the year, handles ok, great mx bike, as stated before the WR is not so punchy and a little heavier.

·
Registered
769 Posts
That makes alotta sense. Kinda like the bad rep the TLS got as being the "Widow Maker" without a steering damper. Sometimes its just the little things.

A buddy of mine whom had one told me that the stock exhaust made the best power and every aftermarket system actually killed some power. This may not be true now but for the first few years this seemed to be so at least according to him. He tried two different set ups but went back to OEM and said it worked the best. He said most went back to stock after experiencing the same thing.
the main reason I went back to stock was to satisfy the noise regs, although the FMF powercore 4 sounded sweet :devious

·
5,503 Posts
Damn, that is a clean YZ :hail

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
:stupid

·
Registered
769 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
What year is the DRZ and what is the asking price, if you don't mind my axin'. I have an older Harley for sale/trade on Craigs List and I've been offered a 2000 DRZ400E as a possible trade. It has an FMF pipe and an actual Florida title that allows for it to be tagged and ridden on the street. The owner went thru Vermont to accomplish this and then transferred it to Florida.

Whats the best way to determine selling/buying price? Kelly Blue Book? Black Book?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Best way is to look at what similar bikes are selling for in your area. Condition of the bike and quality of the seller will make a huge difference and neither are items that the kbb type things are really capable of picking up on. As a rough guess the DRZ you mention is worth between 1800-2200.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have OWNED both. The WR400 DESTROYS the DRZ, there is no comparison. One is a fat street oriented bike and one is a dirtbike.

If you are willing to do the frequent valve checks and oil changes, go with the WR. I got the WR 2 weeks after I bought my DRZ new and completely lost interest in the DRZ. It is a much more hardcore machine, overall it feels much more solid, makes A LOT more power and has much better suspension. I never had a single issue with mine, purchased it used and put nearly 1000 miles on it before I sold it, still running great. The WR "cruises" much easier then the DRZ at 60-65 mph, much less throttle input to keep it going at that speed, I never went fast on the WR on the freeway, kept it around 6k rpm.

·
Registered
276 Posts
like pilot says pull the stop, re time the motor (yzf marks are also on the cam) but you will also need to cut the grey restrictor wire on the cdi. over all you will be much happier with the wr its a great bike all round. i havent had a problem with the hot starting on the 400 only ever had probs on the 450 mx bike and theyre sods to start cold let alone hot.

·
5,503 Posts
The WR is an awesome bike. My buddy has a nicely modded '04 450 and the thing is a beast. Even the clapped out rebuilt 426 loaner I rode while visiting in CA kicked ass. The non e-start models are a bit of a bitch to start though. Gotta kick 'em like a man, and be prepared to do it more than once. Sometimes when I am in a precarious jam on a narrow mountain trail, having the button is a lifesaver.

The DRZ is heavy, but it is also near indestructible in my experience. While it is no racer, with some tuning (cams, exhaust, jetting) and suspension work, a DRZ makes a good low maintenance hard core trail bike. It's stout but non explosive power also finds traction better than any bike I have ridden. Allow me to demonstrate :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts