TLZone Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, had my tls for about 4 months now...loving it bar this weep hole leak...defo coolant(green)..looking at search on here, i have noted the part numbers needed, anyways to cut a long story short, today after i sorted an ongoing oil leak( banjo washers to oil cooler had failed)..i decided to try a quick fix to the weep hole saga....i managed to aquire a kwaker zx coolant catch tank..and along with some piping, rigged up as such.., tubing into weep hole...tubing then goes into catch tank, and catch tank is fixed to side of oil cooler( looks factory fit)..at bottom of catch tank is a bleed hole ( so i can empty occasionally)..what i wanna know is there any forseen probs with using this idea..obviously i intend to do the seals(maybe summer),,but wondered if this would affect anything..your imput is greatly apreciated:confused

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
It should be fine provided the coolant can freely drain into the catch-tank and you don't run low on coolant over the course of a ride. Of course the seal could get worse while out on a ride, but they typically don't go all at once. If the tubing were to plug up or the oil seal were to fail it could force coolant into the crankcase.

good luck

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I'd take care of it ASAP. Some members here have complained that after awhile the rod that goes through that seal (& the mechanical oil seal) & that the water pump impeller is shoved onto got pitted. Was this due to the coolant seal failing & the rod sitting in a pool of weak coolant that then allowed the rod to rust? Quite possibly. Mine had just a little bit of corrosion on it that I smoothed it out with some light machine oil sprayed on some fine sandpaper. Maybe it's not a huge issue if your coolant/antifreeze is in good shape but otherwise I'd get on it & do it before it causes really big issues. Replacing the mechanical seal while you have things apart is also a good idea. I'm sure you read through the threads talking about how difficult it would be to replace the rod the impeller rides on. Something you really do not want to have to go through. Seal replacement is really not all that difficult comparatively speaking...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just changed both the mechanical seal and the water pump seal on my TLS about a month ago, due to oil out the weep-hole. You can do the whole thing in half a day, depending on how many beers are involved...
Same issue as MR DOB mentioned about the impeller shaft being pitted and nasty...made it hard to get some of it apart, including getting the impeller off the shaft.
Also, that mechanical seal is meant primarily to keep oil out of that dead space - not to keep coolant out of the crankcase. It may not like it over an extended period of time.
Your fix sounds like it would work temporarily, but how temporarily?
Seems like a failure waiting to happen, IMHO. :O Just hopefully not when you're far from home, and not so it's dumping coolant in front of your rear tire...
Either way, good luck with it! Hope it works out

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
seems to me that you could have fixed the seal in as much time was spent find a work around...seals are about a 3on a scale to 10 just the time and no special tools except for covering the waterpump shaft to keep from damaging new seal...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I was thinking the same thing....and all I use to protect the seal from damage on install is the bag it comes in - just put it over the shaft, slide the side cover on, pull it out carefully and your good to go:thumbup:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well been out all day, done about 200 miles....catch tank worked a treat...the small amounts of coolant that does weep, goes straight down tube into tank...as i said i,m gonna order the parts needed...was just a simple quick semi fix...by the way a mate of a mate who has had his tl..has had the same weeping coolant for 6 yrs...like me every month or so..he adds a very small amount of coolant to header tank..and like i have..its only a very small amount

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Yeah,
As a very short term stop gap measure it isn't too bad. However your friend hasn't had his water pump cover off yet to see what is going on in there though right? Be careful with this stuff as you have to pull the engine cases apart in order to replace the rod that water pump impeller mounts to! Yeah, that is a little "involved." So if that rod gets really pitted with corrosion by sitting in a pool of weak coolant you now need to tear the engine apart to fix the issue! You can only sand off so much of the corrosion off that rod and beyond a point the seals that needed to be replaced won't seal anymore no matter if they are brand new. So then you have to replace that rod altogether. If the rod was somewhat easy to access I wouldn't see doing what your friend is doing as being such a bad thing. But knowing that you have to tear down an engine to replace a part that is being affected by a minor seal issue does not make sense to me. Foolish behaviour. That is not very bright if you ask me. You can turn a relatively minor repair into a major, major nightmare. Why would you do this to yourself?

:confused

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
+1

Plus like it was said above if the oil seal goes, you may not notice until you have a radiator full of oil and a polluted engine. Changing it is the best. You might get away with it for 10 years or 10 days, doesn't make it a good choice. I am with Gerhard on this one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts