TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
just in the middle of doing my first valve clearance but had to stop due to freezing my arse off...anyway there are a few problems i have encountered.
1. the cover to the crankcase is totally stuck so i cant get the wrench in to turn the engine(seems like its welded its self to the thread) so ive managed to burr the bolt hole with means i have resorted to spinning the wheel to get top dead centre.:banghead
2. The valve cover on the rear cylinder is imposible to take off cos i cant get my allen key in the 2 of the holes cos the frame is in the way!:banghead
3.After messuring the clearance i have 1.5 on the intake(which is fine) but the exhaust is also 1.5(it should be 0.02-0.03) i may be being a little thick here but surely the clearance will get bigger with wear and not smaller:confused

any advise it welcome...Cheers
Lee:hail

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Ello dude, it works the opposite of how ya think. You will need thicker shims in there by the sound of it mate.
As for the rear cover I used an Allen key bit with Spanner to undo them. Good luck.

Looks like your not far from me, if you was up for a ride out let me know dude. My bike is off the road at the mo though :thumbup

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers for the advise!
will try again tomorrow....yeah your only up the road..i'll be up for a spin as soon as the weather gets better( march time)...i'll be in touch.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Common for the access plug to freeze, it's the O ring that sticks it tight.

Take both plugs out and spin in 6th gear via the back wheel

No need to find top dead, just point the cam lobes away from the buckets

Make sure you release the exhaust cam decompressors by tapping the end of the bob weight outwards, you'll hear a load click when it releases.

The inlets should be 4-8 thou, exhausts 8-12 thou :thumbup

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
tap/wedge a suitably thin pice of metal/feeler gauge/scredriver etc along with the alen key to regain bite.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
And they do get tight as they wear - the bit that wears is the valve and valve seat so as it wears the valve goes further up in the head and makes the clearance too tight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been putting this task off myself - getting depressed just reading about it! Do you guy's all check them regularly? Do they often need much adjustment?? Ignorance is bliss so feel free to say 'it'll be fine, don't worry about it' ha ha

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Common for the access plug to freeze, it's the O ring that sticks it tight.

Take both plugs out and spin in 6th gear via the back wheel

Make sure you release the exhaust cam decompressors by tapping the end of the bob weight outwards, you'll hear a load click when it releases.

thousandth's ? of an inch ? woo hoo !! i feel so much better to know that sam the man still uses imperial steam-age inches,as i do, 3 cheers mate !!! :laugh

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I've been putting this task off myself - getting depressed just reading about it! Do you guy's all check them regularly? Do they often need much adjustment?? Ignorance is bliss so feel free to say 'it'll be fine, don't worry about it' ha ha
the intervals are quite long ,just do it, it aint bad at all

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
I prefer the tight side but not past the tolerence and only if you do them regularly

·
15,415 Posts
thousandth's ? of an inch ? woo hoo !! i feel so much better to know that sam the man still uses imperial steam-age inches,as i do, 3 cheers mate !!! :laugh
Yeah, prefer thou for engines, mm for making stuff but revert back to inches when getting near the end of my tape measure :laugh

I just check the valve clearances with each engine rebuild, thats pretty regular intervals :lol

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Most of us old guys that do TL valves have a cut down allen wrench for the reat cylinder. Makes life a lot easier.

·
15,415 Posts
Most of us old guys that do TL valves have a cut down allen wrench for the reat cylinder. Makes life a lot easier.
I use my 1/4" knuckle joint and hex bit, or sometimes the hex bit with a small ring spanner on it, bit fiddly, but as bad as the rear exhaust header bolts :laugh

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i successfully completed my valve clearance yeasterday and i'm chuffed to bits i managed it as i was avised not to do it myself...its actually not that bad just takes a little time to get in there,as long as youve got your hanynes manual to hand so you can check what shims you need. mine were way out i dont think its been done before so its a good job i done it..now shes running like a beaut!!!! so just crack on and do it, you be pleased when its done!(so will your wallet)

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
good stuff leelo :thumbup

i was gonna say you missed the sam masterclass at bmf the other year when he did the front head on andy's bike :laugh had a proper little audience...

had the same problem with hard to get too bolts fitting the turbo manifold on busa steves race bike...omg was like 1/8th of a turn each time..took me bloody hours!! :banghead

that was using a small spanner and a chopped down allen key .. crikey it makes me shiver just thinking about it...

·
Registered
112 Posts
this is something i have been wondering about my bike is A 98 TLS with only 8.5k miles
is it due a check i know the miles are low but she is long in the tooth ???

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,342 Posts

I read this the other day, and now I'm a little confused Sam. :confused I am checking my valves on the TLR. I have the front cylinder at TDC. The markings on the flywheel and cam gears and cam lobe orientation are just like the manual shows. However, the exhaust decompressor is NOT engaged with the exhaust valve bucket. Actually, the pin is still about 2mm away from the bucket. I can move the centrifugal weight freely and see the pin rotate - revealing its flat side as it does.

Is the warning to "release the exhaust cam decompressors" given just in case someone is a little past TDC, or am I missing something here? :O

·
15,415 Posts
If you follow the manual the lobes don't point opposite to the shim bucket and therefore the decompressors won't be touching.

I prefer to check them with the lobes pointing opposite to the shim bucket so there is no chance of the cams open/closing ramps interfering with the measurement and ignore the manual, but you need to release the decompressors doing it that way.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts