TLZone Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any final words of wisdom from those that have done it?

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
Don't forget to wave to the camera...

On a serious note...
1. Read the regulations for prepping the bike for the group you will be running with and make sure they done BEFORE you go to the track. Last thing you want to be doing is draining/changing the coolant at the track (just an example).

2. You are not there to break any land speed or lap records so don't try. Use at least the first two sessions to find the lines around the track.

3. Work on those lines then concentrate on body position, brake points and throttle control; speed will follow.

4. Have fun.

:)

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Loose grip on bars, try to get as much coaching from instructors/marshalls/fast guys as you can. Don't worry about getting your knee down, it will come. Work on corner entry and exit, looking through turns, run consistent lines. When guys go by you, watch where you are going. Ride on the balls of your feet, elbows bent.

Smile a lot, it will happen anyway.

Stay hydrated, have some shade!:coocoo

Best final advice, if you think you won't make a turn, turn in anyway and you will be amazed what the bike will do.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
:stupid's

And remember to have fun. You'll be addicted :thumbup

:)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Hit the fun parts of course. Show up with a bike that has fresh tires, brakes, fluids. Most of the casualties will go down in the first few laps of any given session. Ease into it if you plan to get outside your comfort zone. Warm up those tires and ask lots of questions in the pits of people that are more experienced.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Bring:
food/snacks/plenty to drink/good cooler filled with ice
extra fuel - 5 gallons
change of clothes/shower kit
sunglasses/comfortable chair
radio
tools
aspirin/ear plugs
cleaner for visors/honda clean type spray is perfect
blue painters tape for covering plastic lenses/glass parts
remember to bring your helmet/gloves/boots/back protector/BIKE KEY
Quality Air gauge for setting correct tire pressure
chain lube
zip ties

that's a partial list, just remember to pay attention to the correct line you will be shown, and learn to be steady on the throttle and SMOOTH. Twins are tricky on the track, its all about correct gear selection. Starting slow will get you comfortably acclamated and you should have a great time.

Have fun
Ken

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Remember, you can't win track day. Best experience is going fast but in control and bringing the bike home without scrapes. Worst feeling is right after you crash, esp if you did something stupid.

Tire pressure.
Use @2 laps to relearn the track (it warms the tires up if you don't have warmers).
Bring shade, a chair, bike stands, helmet (dont ask, it can be expensive)
Read track day reqs for the bike and gear.

And weaving doesn't heat the tires, but it does scuff new ones.

Nice pic burn.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Best advice...don't go. Just stay home.

If you do go you'll just have to deal with the addiction. You thought buying a TL made your credit cards zoom to the limit, just wait till you try this.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
crashtd said:
madkaw what trackday are you doing? i might be there :devious I'm gonna do BeaveRun and Summit

-:banana
I'm doing Pocono w/ NY Sportbike Club

·
Registered
281 Posts
Slow and smooth. Burn rubber not your soul. And for gods sake...
Do NOT let anyone who you wouldn't have sex without a condom ride your bike...you never know when it will come back and **** you in the ass! I learned this this weekend. Crashed SV's are not fun.

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
Msbrit...

ROTFLMAO

Madkaw,
Just try to stay relaxed man. I know how nervous I was the first time. You have to go slow to go fast focos on the lines not the speed.

and like Burn said remember to wave...
Click for big one..

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Best final advice, if you think you won't make a turn, turn in anyway and you will be amazed what the bike will do.

And dont ride across the gravel ...you will fall of..its probally about 2 feet deep! dont ask.:banghead ..remove or tape up your mirrors..so you dont keep looking at them.Put the std cans on ...the bike will still be fast enough and you will save $$ or ££ if you drop it..

What Oldtlsdoug says about thinking you wont make the turn is spot on..I messed up my turn in and ran wide onto the gravel to avoid being collected by the people that I had just over taken....thinking that It would be ok to do so ....well the bike weaved from side to side before digging in and hoisting me over the bars and then falling on its side..A few scrapes and a busted indicator later and I was back out ...that was only about 20 mph!There was easily enough track for me to make it around the corner despite being a bit fast going in.hind sight is a wonderful thing...

Just go and enjoy it its the best thing you will EVER do on your bike .:)

Once you get going try following a faster guy ( that knows his lines and is smooth) you will be amazed at how much faster you end up going...but if you get tired or a frazzled mind just slow down ...theres no shame in not falling off.15-20 mins flat out can be very exhausting.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Don't worry about the people behind you...run your line and let them choose when to pass.(unless Jasen or Doug are on the track):) If you do go off the track...DO NOT touch the front brake at all. It will throw you straight to the ground. I know from experience(only once on a brand new GSXR 750). Put a few scratches on her but now she is broken in. No pun intended.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
richara3 said:
Just go and enjoy it its the best thing you will EVER do on your bike .:)
After my first trackday I pronounced that not only was it the most fun I'd ever had on a bike, it was the most fun I'd had ever...period.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
So how did your day go?

Some great suggestions & insight from members. I like shaking my arms at the elbows after I pass the start/finish line at the end of lap one to remind my body to loosen up as I get ready to get on it as the tires are up to temperature this time of year. Light luches are preferable & some of us just eat fruit this time of year for lunches while riding on the track. Sports drinks in warmer weather help out as well. I usually take some B-complex vitamins in the afternoon when I see my brain is starting to drag a bit. Seems to help some riders concentrate better when you start to fade but others have told me it upsets their stomache. Something you can try at home on a weekend when doing chores I suppose to see if it helps things click better.

Stretch! I do it before I gear up & after I get the leathers on to help get the body in tune with what it is about to go through. It is also a way to help my brain get into the zone via physical cues. This stuff takes some time & at this point my brain usually starts going into a mode where I visualize parts of the track where my braking markers are & where my entry points for turns are as I stretch. Used to try to get my brain to do this so I could try to help focus it on the upcoming task at hand. Now as I suit up & begin stretching it goes into that mode by itself. Like a mental warm up lap which helps me shift gears from my working responsibilities out at the track to riding on it.

Kind of late to get you input in time for your track day.

How did it go?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.