TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i know a bunch of you have/had dogs and puppies....i have had a golden retriever for 6 weeks, he is now 12-13 weeks old. my question is that im having a hard time house breaking him, he has gotten alot better, i mean he has maybe 1 or 2 accidents a day now, vs he used to have every one inside.....he will not let me know when he want to go out, so if i dont let him out when he need to go then he will just go....good thing my house is all hard wood floor!......any ideas or things that have worked for yall?

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Our dog gets a treat every time she makes a poo poo outside. She gets scolded if she does it indoors. She'll hold that crap till I get home just to get the praise and treat.

Ya gotta watch them though. She'll run round the back of the house, wait a minute, then come in and head for the treats. She's a sneaky little bitch cuz sometimes I walk around and there's no new piles.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gixxerjasen said:
Our dog gets a treat every time she makes a poo poo outside. She gets scolded if she does it indoors. She'll hold that crap till I get home just to get the praise and treat.

Ya gotta watch them though. She'll run round the back of the house, wait a minute, then come in and head for the treats. She's a sneaky little bitch cuz sometimes I walk around and there's no new piles.
i do the treat everytime, and i spank him when he does it in the house, and he also goes in time out(crate) when he has a accident, it just seems like it is taking to long....

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
When we got the pup little over a year ago I was home allot. So every time I even thought he had to go we ran outside so he could do his stuff. I think we had to do it like this for about 2 weeks.. pretty intensive too keep an eye out all day but I worked pretty good as he hardly did it after that period. Not sure you're able to watch him al the time? (work)

I guess that's my concensus.. get him out when you think he might wanna go! Maybe he starts thinking: hey im out again, maybe i should poo!

[edit] now i think of it, we picked him up when we saw him doing it aswell.. and again put him outside to finish!

T

·
0 Posts
TL Freak said:
i do the treat everytime, and i spank him when he does it in the house, and he also goes in time out(crate) when he has a accident, it just seems like it is taking to long....

OK..a couple of things here. First, when you correct him it must be while his is peeing or what have you. If you walk into a room and he left you a gift correcting him then will do no good. Using the crate for a place to put him when he has been bad isn't a good idea either. You want him to feel secure in his crate, and not associate it at a place where he goes only when he's bad. Potty training a dog requires a lot of diligence. Dogs will generally have some kind of different behavior just before they potty so you need to observe what that is. What worked for me is just when cooper would do his little dance I would say "go outside" and then take I would take him out and tell him to "go potty". Once he did I imediately praised him and said "good potty". Praising doesn't always have to consist of food, but it doesn't hurt either. Cooper pee'd inside only three times and never dropped a duece inside. The most important thing is you have to be consistent. Always praise him when he's good and potties outside and correct him if he potties inside (when you catch him). Don't stick his nose in it, that does no good. Just use a stern voice and say no, or bad dog. He'll learn pretty quickly that outside is the place to go.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Interestingly enough, when I was potty training our dog I read that if you didn't catch them in the act and scolded them well after the fact then they had no idea what you were scolding them for. Something like they don't remember doing it and scolding them afterwards just confused them.

I don't put 100% stock into this though.

I've found that when I come home, my dog greets me with pure enthusiasm and follows me around the house. However, when I would walk through the room that she would occasionlly do her business in, she wouldn't follow me. Usually I'll realize she's not with me and she's outside the room hanging her head....look down and there's the present.

She definately remembered doing it and knew it was wrong. If she hadn't done anything she'd just follow me through the room.

Not sure how that helps, but felt like sharing it.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Maybe she just doesn't like the smell of her business! :laugh

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well last night i knew he had a accident cause the way he wouldnt come around me and kept distance, and sure enough i found he had a accident, he knows the crate is a bad thing......he actually ate it once to try and keep me from seeing it....lol thats damn gross

·
Who loves you
3,370 Posts
The crate should not be a bad thing, I 100% back what TLRChad stated, with one exception that I agree with Jasen that they do remember doing it. However, you should still not scold them UNLESS you catch them.

Are you leaving the pup in the crate when you are not home? That is the best way to potty train, they will typically hold it while in the crate, the very moment you walk in the door you take the pup out and say "let's go potty" or something similar and go straight to the door and outside and say "go potty". Once the chore is done really praise the pup. It will be no time until the training is done.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
yep, crate training is the easiest. any reasonably intelligent dog will get it pretty quickly. both mind did in less than a week, no problems since and that was 5+years ago.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no he roams the house when im not home...i think thats the problem

T

·
0 Posts
Davcruz said:
The crate should not be a bad thing, I 100% back what TLRChad stated, with one exception that I agree with Jasen that they do remember doing it. However, you should still not scold them UNLESS you catch them.

Are you leaving the pup in the crate when you are not home? That is the best way to potty train, they will typically hold it while in the crate, the very moment you walk in the door you take the pup out and say "let's go potty" or something similar and go straight to the door and outside and say "go potty". Once the chore is done really praise the pup. It will be no time until the training is done.
Totally agree :thumbup

Dogs have natural instincts regarding where they do and don't potty Freak. They don't like living in their own mess. One reason why crate training is so effective. While in that crate they will hold as long as they can. They don't want to sit there in their own piss and skit.
Obviously little puppies aren't going to have the same capacity as an adult and expecting them to hold it eight hours is just unrealistic. A bigger dog like a golden can start to hold it all day probably around 6-8 months old, maybe sonner. Again, you have to be consistent. Like Dave said, you come home, you take the dog right outside and give them whatever command you want to use to have the dog go potty. Once they do potty you praise them like crazy. Cooper is almost 3 1/2 years old and I still follow this routine. He is allowed to roam all day because I can trust but as soon as I'm home the first thing he does is goes outside and I tell him to go potty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts