TLZone Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the engine blew in my 02 TLR. I just had it all apart and put a "new" engine in it. I got the past summer... well 3/4 of it anyway before i got a yucky sounding tap in the ftont cylinder. So after going over everything in the valve trains, checking tappet clearance, removing scissor gears, decomp valves, replacing both cam chain tensioners i thought j had it licked. It was at a friends house while doing the work. The night i fired it up after all the digging and whatnot it sounded great better than ever revved faster idled at the right rpm. I was a happy boy. The next morning i go to pick it up and it sounded funny and it was cold snd i had notthe fast idle did nothing and it kept sneezing through the throttle body which it had always done when cold. So i figured if it puked ill know for sure what was wrong then... famous last words. On the short 5 mile trip she had a full blown meltdown to the point i couldnt stop at stop signs because i knew it woukd seize up and there id be out in the middle of amish country in January on a yellow dead death machine. So i make it home just in time for a loud pop accompanied by hot oil and coolant. So as calm as i could which wasnt very i just get off the bike and go inside. Few days lster i look and the rear cylinder is cracked and thats just what i could see at a glance.
I love this bike and told myself id never get rid of it and truly dont want to but if i cant make one good engine from parts from both of these engines i can afford another engine because i cant work like i use to because i abused my body for 17 years and now its paying me back for it. I dunno im honestly a damn mess over it. Feel like i just lost my bestfriend. I honestly dont think ill have enough good parts between the 2 engines to rebuild one good one. I know the case is shot one the original as i found pieces of it in the sump from when the PO grenaded the trans and im willing to bet that since i managed to crack the jug on the current one chances are that case has damage too. So i dont know if i should sell it as a parts/project bike or knuckle up and started ripping. I admittedly with everything that happened to me in the last year dont have much fight left in me. I guess i just need someone to tell me to stop being such a pussy and get vack on the horse but if its a waste of time then id rather not waste any of that, my time is at a premium right now.
If you read all that sorry for rambling and i apologize for any typos my right hand doesn't work so well anymore and i already have these stupid bananas for fingers. But if you could offer your humble opinion as to whether i should just sell it move on or put my big boy pants on, grab some wrenches and get dirty.
Anyway thanks for listen/reading.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Top effort friend and hello from Australia. At least no won can say that you didn't try. You certainly have patients..

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Is be a doctor. I think you meant patience.

These things do need some looking after. Worth it in the long run. What else is there to do in a lockdown. Bloody covid.

Reactions: TOOKA

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is be a doctor. I think you meant patience.

These things do need some looking after. Worth it in the long run. What else is there to do in a lockdown. Bloody covid.
Well im a pretty sharp cookie but admittedly my written vocabulary is not nearly as strong as my spoken vocabulary. Then theres the mysterious world of punctuation.
Throw me in front of any machine with a bag of tools and ill figure it out... a wordsmith i am not. Hahaha!

Yeah like anything else you need to do some checking. But this was weird. I change oil very regularly and there was no warning signs of this. One day it started with this knocking or tapping. The noise was strange in that it was there all the time, neutral, in gear with the clutch pulled in or in gear with a load on it never really stopped it just got faster with higher rpm. It blew a hole in the rear cylinder big enough to fit 3 fingers into.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts