TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite a bit of this is my own fault, the other bit is just ****ing frustrating.

My license expired last month (that would be the my fault part) so I took the day off to go take care of it. Off I head to the DMV with paper work in hand. The wait is less than 5 minutes so that was good. Once I got up to the desk and handed over my paperwork I was asked for another form of ID since it was expired (damn, that was written on the document the DMV sent, again, my bad). Back home I head, get the crap I need; passport and I94 (remember I'm a foreigner). Back to the DMV... My number is called before I can even sit down so that was good. The new person I'm now dealing with takes my passport and disappears for a few minutes. When she gets back I get hit with... Do you have a letter from the State Department stating you do not have diplomatic privileges... er... what?

At this time I can tell the the person I'm dealing with also has no idea why this is being asked so enter 'Bertha' the 400lbs blob that won't leave her chair because it's physically stuck up her ass and she kind of likes it. She starts spouting off how ALL A and G visa's need to have clarification of their diplomatic status. To which I respond that I do not work for a company that entitles anyone to have diplomatic privileges. That in fact the company I work for is now a private company and the visa status is nothing more than a letter on a document... Not her problem. I told her that I had never run into this issue before in the 19 years I've been driving and renewing my license. She said that it's been that way for years... How many... 4... Nice, you realize it was 5 years ago that I last renewed my license. How was I suppose to know this was needed. I asked for contact information for the state department since this was their requirement... I don't have that, try 411... er...**** you.

I get home and on the phone to my HR rep at work who I've dealt with before regarding visa issues (but when buying a house)... Away from the office until Monday. ****. I called all the other phone numbers in HR until someone finally picked up the damn phone only to be surprised that I was still under a visa and had no idea what to do... great.

Still no valid license and a waisted day off... Could be worse... I could actually be at work typing this. :banghead

·
Moderator,
8,244 Posts
You should have been suspicious the minute you didn't have to wait in line. :laugh

·
Registered
179 Posts
:stupid espcially at the end of the month those places are usually zoo's

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:stupid :stupid

Only DMV I know of in the area that doesn't almost always have huge lines is the one in the pentagon - folks there are usually a bit more friendly/helpful too. Esp good with weird questions because they get so many out of state and out of country folks:)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
that sucks glad i have family that works at DMV so i dont have to go through the BS wasnt for them i wouldnt know what to do..atleast its a nice day out to take a ride on either of ur TL's

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
He can't, no license:doh

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I have a sneaking suspision that the DMV/DPS is only going to get worse. Saw on the news the other day that they are looking into going with a standardized National ID system via Homeland Security. No more online renewals or address changes are the first of the bad things associated with this.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:doh anything DHS touches turns to huge piles of red tape imho

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Nice to know the US is focusing security "efforts" on productive taxpayers like BurnCyle here while it's politicians fall all over themselves to grant amnesty/citizenship to millions of illegal aliens.

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice to know the US is focusing security "efforts" on productive taxpayers like BurnCyle here while it's politicians fall all over themselves to grant amnesty/citizenship to millions of illegal aliens.
Oh... Don't get me started on the whole tax payer thing. Yes, I am an alien, yes I am working here legally but since I don't have a green card I need to work for an embassy or international company. Intelsat was that international company until 5-years ago when they privatized. Somehow they managed to get congress to pass a bill that made all of the G4 visa holders at Intelsat (and only Intelsat) able to stay working with a private company BUT we would have to pay taxes (yes, we didn't before that).

Now what is so wrong about that? I can't vote. I have no voice. I'm expected to be as every tax paying American out there is but with out the rights and with additional red tape to cut through when performing such simple tasks as having a license renewed.

I see the license plates when I drive in Washington D.C. every day that say "Taxation Without Representation". I laugh, they have no idea. At least they can vote for what crack addict will be running for mayor next term. :banghead

...and the amnesty thing... That's a whole other issue I could rant and rave over. If only I was here illegally, then I'd be able to get a green card without all the hassle. :banghead

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Oh... Don't get me started on the whole tax payer thing. Yes, I am an alien, yes I am working here legally but since I don't have a green card I need to work for an embassy or international company. Intelsat was that international company until 5-years ago when they privatized. Somehow they managed to get congress to pass a bill that made all of the G4 visa holders at Intelsat (and only Intelsat) able to stay working with a private company BUT we would have to pay taxes (yes, we didn't before that).

Now what is so wrong about that? I can't vote. I have no voice. I'm expected to be as every tax paying American out there is but with out the rights and with additional red tape to cut through when performing such simple tasks as having a license renewed.

I see the license plates when I drive in Washington D.C. every day that say "Taxation Without Representation". I laugh, they have no idea. At least they can vote for what crack addict will be running for mayor next term. :banghead

...and the amnesty thing... That's a whole other issue I could rant and rave over. If only I was here illegally, then I'd be able to get a green card without all the hassle. :banghead

Bern,
I like you as well as respect you so don't trash me right away when I say this.
1. You've been here for 19 years.
2. 14 of those years you didn't have to pay taxes.
3. You've bought a home and enjoyed the perks or whatever that your status has afforded you throughout the years.
4. If you want a vote then become a US citizen.
5. I've been paying taxes since 1983 when I got my first job, so I have no sympathy for you there.
6. Don't like it? Go back home and be taxed and represented there. :thumbup
Or change your nationality to Mexican.:banghead

Sorry, but if the roles were reversed and I was in your country I doubt I'd be bitching about not having a voice when I'm not in fact a (insert country's name here) citizen.

Not hating on you, I just don't understand the part after the DMV rant.
And I still love ya Bern so be gentle in your reply.:devious

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
I vote every time but it never does any good the other candidate wins most of the time. I honestly don't give a hoot about voting I'd rather not pay taxes.

After taxes, medicare SS payments, state taxes and my deductions I only make about 27K net a year, maybe less.

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bern,
I like you as well as respect you so don't trash me right away when I say this.
1. You've been here for 19 years.
2. 14 of those years you didn't have to pay taxes.
3. You've bought a home and enjoyed the perks or whatever that your status has afforded you throughout the years.
4. If you want a vote then become a US citizen.
5. I've been paying taxes since 1983 when I got my first job, so I have no sympathy for you there.
6. Don't like it? Go back home and be taxed and represented there. :thumbup
Or change your nationality to Mexican.:banghead

Sorry, but if the roles were reversed and I was in your country I doubt I'd be bitching about not having a voice when I'm not in fact a (insert country's name here) citizen.

Not hating on you, I just don't understand the part after the DMV rant.
And I still love ya Bern so be gentle in your reply.:devious
The part after the DMV rant is me having a bad day…

It's been 27 years since I moved here. :laugh

Hey, I'll be the first to admit I had the biggest free ride going when this was an international company. The money I made was mine and mine alone. Granted, on paper I made less than the person (tax payer) next to me but my take home at the end of the day was more. This is one of the reasons I had not been in any hurry to get a green card... Meanwhile my father is now a citizen and my mother is a green card holder.

Let me clarify though... I am in no way bitching about having to pay taxes. It's the not having a voice to support (or not) where my taxes go that I have an issue with. I am not one of those people who go off on problems of the US and say NZ is so great (as I hear a lot of immigrants do with their countries... even I end up saying "well go back then"). I'm here because this is where I want to be and the US has been good to me and my family. Besides, I tried to go back in the early 90's to make a new life for myself... Failed horribly.

I am in the process of getting a green card. I figure I at least owe it to my wife and son (yes, both US citizens) to do so. Then it's another 3-years before I can get my citizenship.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
...... I am not one of those people who go off on problems of the US and say NZ is so great (as I hear a lot of immigrants do with their countries... even I end up saying "well go back then"). .
Now there's an opening for an Aussie to stick it to NZ, but I wont say something like, umm, I'll drop it.... :laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Just go study voting models and public choice theory, then you'll not mind not being able to vote nearly so much:laugh

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
I got it Bern here is your answer. Go into mexico then hop the fence back into the US.

Everything will be fine....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts