TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I'm a forgetful & lazy bugger I know ... here are some pics

The 'hinge' opened & closed. Note the 'front' arm is bolted in place so it only clamshells in one direction ... also, the back arm has a hole through it & the bracket - I used to put a bolt through there to stop the wind blowing it open & little kids getting in there & playing house ... but that was when we lived next to a main road with no fence etc ... people literally walked & drove within inches of our front door. In fact, some nana fell off her scooter once & bounced off the front of the house :coocoo You could put a padlock there to stop the curious theif poking their nose in there ... but a determined crook would just cut through the fabric so I never bothered :)

Back corner & closeup. A little bit of bracing to stop it colapsing when you open it.

Open & closed

You can open it & walk the bike right into it, but for the TL I'd make it another 30-50cm wider ... the mirrors can get tangled in the excess blue sheet :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's awesome man. I'm gonna half to build one of these until I can get a garage.

Thanks,
Gen

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
That's cool, I like it:thumbup

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Plastic tubing? bet that's nice and light :thumbup

·
Registered
671 Posts
materials list please. that is way cool:hail

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...too bad there isn't a kevlar cover option (for a bit more theft protection) for the covering...

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
approx. 4 meters of 20mm PVC pipe & assorted T- & elbow joints, plastic tarp (UV block recommended) approx. 3x 3x2m, 30x30mm aluminium U-section for the bracket, some nuts'n'bolts, some kind of PVC glue (I used silicon seal :) ) and some nylon line to sew it together.

It's very light, you can pick the whole thing up & walk around with it no problems. Obviously, if it's windy it moves around alot - Mark.1 Barn I used to find in the river next to our old house when I got home quite often. Then I put 2 bolts into the concrete & secured the Al. bracket to them - it never moved again :D

Obviously, you can cut through it with a knife. And I was worried some ass might take his cig lighter to it & melt the whole thing, as our house was RIGHT next to the road ... it's a Jappo thing :rolleyes

So it's purely for protection from the elements - less hassle, easier to put on & off than a cover & doesn't touch the bike when it's windy.

If you're all interested, I'll post more info ie. sizes etc. Basically, I nabbed the info off the official bike barn page & simplified & cheapified it :)

Oh, it cost me less than ¥8,000 (US$70 ..?) first time round - cheaper than a cover & about ¥50,000 (US$450 ..?) cheaper than a real one :eek

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
thanks for that Kamikuza :)

i have'nt had a chance to start it yet.
been busy fitting UHF radio,spot lights,fixing a 12v power socket in the centre console & buying a few other bits'n pieces for the 4x4.

now that summers just around the corner it'll give me something to build in the hot evenings :thumbup

100w each off ebay new $70AUD

UHF 40 channel free good ol dad :) (now i can hear where mr plod is with his camera & speed gun :devious)

novelty horn (white thing) 45 different sounds-animals,sirens,music & PA system :laugh very illegal over here but who gives a toss.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Kamikuza that is awesome! :thumbup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts