TLZone Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a weekend. I went and was a spectator at the Last Man Standing race this weekend. Watched practice on Friday, the race on Saturday, ran over to a local set of trails to ride dirtbikes while Red Bull cleaned up on Sunday, then back to the location of the race to ride some of the marked course on Monday.

LMS is a cross country race course for dirt bikes that is designed to be very difficult to complete. This is the second year of running it here in North Texas and last year David Knight won the event. This will be aired on SpeedTV here sometime in the next month and is a good show so set your VCR/Tivo for it. Sadly, this type of racing isn't the best for spectating and really can't be televised live. This results in a lack of media coverage and thus we don't see the support from the Japanese motorcycle companies that you see in such events as supercross. However, I'm a KTM guy and this type of event is heavily supported by KTM and results in about 80%-90% of the field entering on KTM's so it's all good for me. I think it'd be good for the sport though if we saw more support from the others though.

Anyway, on with the report....

David Knight won it again. But what a heck of a way to win it. Apparently he went home last year and spouted off that the LMS wasn't all that hard and didn't really amount to anything more difficult than any of their regional races over there. This made the race directors go out of their way to make it much harder this year. They devised a track that would truly challenge the riders. Then that storm came in and transformed a challenging track into a nearly impossible track. The cold was one thing but the amount of rain received turned the usually dry, dusty and sandy track into a huge mudhole. The usual spectator areas were included in the track, but we were informed that some of the hardest parts of the track were out where the spectators couldn't go.

Due to the weather many didn't show up for the race so the qualifying was cancelled and all 137 riders who entered and showed up were allowed to race. Joshua Tree was the first major spectator obstacle the riders would encounter. Of the 137, only 24 bikes even made it to Joshua Tree. Many were in a pretty sad state as several were missing rear fenders and all were pretty beat up. However, on arriving at Joshua Tree after about an hour and a half of riding, David Knight was a full 25 minutes ahead of the second place rider. Joshua Tree actually was helped out by the rain. Since it's nearly vertical the rainwater just washed off of it and made it pretty tacky. Very few riders who attempted it had trouble making it over.

Triple Threat was a fairly easy one last year but as it's just a gully going up a hill it was a muddy mess. David Knight was said to have taken several attempts and even was heard to be cursing a few times. There was a change in the rules for this year. Officials couldn't help riders haul their bikes up anymore. They could hold a bike while a rider scouted a line, help them pick up the bike, pull it back down a hill and could also lift the bike straight up. They couldn't however push the bike forward in any way. Riders were the only ones who could do this and an outstanding display of teamwork was shown among the competitors as the riders would assist one another to the top of the difficult sections, especially triple threat.

The rules of course state that the first 25 riders who are within 1 hour of the leader get to continue on to the night course. Only four riders qualified according to the rules. This of course doesn't make for good TV so the time limit was extended to two hours. This allowed 11 riders to start the night event. Knight took off with Wayne Braybrook right on his tail. He was with him through Texas Stadium and up onto Boulder hill where he had mechanical problems and had to do a trackside replacement of his throttle cable. He lost a lot of time but didn't lose a place. He and Knight finished the race on their own. Five riders had gotten pretty far through before having problems and decided to stick together and help each other out to the end of the race. They however ran out of time and only the first two finished the race. Pretty close to living up to the event's name. In the post race interview Knight admitted that the race was crazy hard this year and was more difficult than Erzberg.

Back to talking about the manufacturers...no Japanese manufacturers were among the finishers. Knight was of course on a KTM and Brabrook was on a Gas Gas. Like I said, it would have been nice to see the other manufacturers support this and show up with some other big names to give these guys some competition.

Riding the course on Monday was a blast. There was some seriously nasty stuff out there that we couldn't see and I, being a dirtbike noob, rode around a good deal of it. Three of my four friends I was riding with did conquer Joshua Tree with a few attempts. Heck of a weekend for motorcycling and I'm looking forward to more of this.

Pictures can be seen on my website here:

http://www.leanangle.com/Pictures/LastManStanding/tabid/143/Default.aspx

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Gnarly stuff. Makes my attempts at nasty obstacle clearing look feeble.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Looks awsome:clap

·
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, we were informed that the hard stuff was out where we couldn't see it. My buddies proved it after me and a fellow rider headed back to camp limping with his flat tire. We brought irons and a tube, but nothing to inflate it with....duh.

Anyway, my buddy hit a part of the trail that went hard right, then hard left with a good five to ten foot run to a sandy cliff straight up about 50 feet. No room to get up your speed, and it wasn't nearly as mucky when he rode it as when the race was. And that was just ONE spot.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Crazy stuff, sounds like loads of fun to me:devious

I bet something like a gasgas pampera would rock for the technical bits

·
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts