TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some shots I took at a local cross country dirtbike race. I put a full writeup in the Open Forum.

However, since this is the photography forum I thought I'd include a few extra pieces of camera info.

Been having some problems with my Nikon D70. Seems it washes out just about every picture. I ended up taking the same pic twice this weekend with both my normal and my zoom lens. Doesn't do it with the zoom. I checked and while it makes all the sounds of the action, my normal lens isn't closing the aperature at all and the camera doesn't compensate for it. Looks like I'll be spending moto money on the camera now, but it's all good and enjoyable. Do I smell an upgrade? :)

Anyway, went out with only my zoom lens and it forced me to do some things I wouldn't normally do and I ended up getting in really close on the action and had to work on my framing where I might have ordinarily created a boring pic of all the action, I was able to focus on certain things. I think the results were pretty good and had a good time and got good shots despite the malfunctioning lens.

Anyway, enjoy the pics, they are on my website.

http://www.leanangle.com/Pictures/LastManStanding/tabid/143/Default.aspx

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
awesome pics man :hail and damn that is a hard track to go thrue :eek:mg

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
The last part looks fun hit it wide open and hang on. The tires look fun too.

Thinking you could pop the front wheel up, let the rear wheel make contact and say yee yaw.

·
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, these guys did some stuff I'd never even think of doing. They'd end up sitting back, stand to the side of the bike, pin the throttle, then dump the clutch. Bike takes off like a rocket, up the slope, bout ten feet in the air to dump on top of a ledge. Then they climb their happy ass up there and do it again. Even the Christini Honda AWD bikes were having troubles with the mucky nasty climbs.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Awsome pics indeed:hail

Noticed one dude was running a trials tire. not sure I'd have gone that route, but I guess it would be great in the hard/rocky low speed stuff:)

·
I was Ukgixxerman
2,072 Posts
brilliant pics mate:thumbup that looks awesome but real hard aswell:hail:hail

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
:thumbup Great pics looks like you wouldve worked your butt off to get them too
Damn i miss dirt bike riding:banghead

·
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments. The only real work came from trying to get the start and the Rodocross sections filmed. There was about two minutes (1.3 minutes David Knight time) between the two. I was busting my lazy out of shape butt to haul across the field, through the dry creekbed and across another field to get the shots while trying to beat the crowd. My buddy doing the video camera obviously took the easy way out and just sat at the rodeocross area and waited for them to get there, but I wanted shots of the start.

The rest of it was just a matter of maneuvering to get in the right place for the shot...occasionally unintentionally getting yelled at by the track staff, and climbing a tree or two. :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts

·
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did look a little like this.

Except without the beard, with a camera and dressed for the cold. Actually I was perched between two close trees, one foot on one and one foot on the other.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
look pretty hard core.

:hail

great photos

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think I could do that, NOT! what a wild ride!

·
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
btw, it'll be on SpeedTV on February 24th. :thumbup

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
:hail GJ thanks for sharing , top pic's mate I love stuff like that :hail :)

·
14,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NP. What do you mean Eddie that there's not much on Speed these days? They are gearing up for a full blown season of NASCRAP and the tv is full of crappy ads for it! :laugh

That aside, I did catch Mad Max on Speed again last night. :hail

1 - 16 of 16 Posts