TLZone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still in the process of restoring / rebuilding my sons Honda CR125 1996, I've got to the point of new plastics and installing the graphics.... now for the million $ question... Whats the best way of putting these £90 graphics on the nice new shiny plastics? I post here as this is the font of all knowledge :devious:)

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After a bit of research, trial and lots of error in the past, it seems that the key is to ensure your plastics are free from all dirt (that bits obvious) but also free from major scratches (obvious if you think about it :devious). One recommendation was to use a soap solution spray under the graphic to enable fine tuning the position, but wont this affect the adhesive? :confused

·
Registered
371 Posts
For decal application I use warm soapy water. Sounds like you have large decals so.....

This technique work for only non-paper deals.

Wash all parts with warm soapy water. Rubbing alcohol can be used to remove grease or oil. Above all, do not touch any surface where a decal will go after it has been washed.

Get a small tub or pan and put in about 4-6 drops of dishsoap per liter of water (just enough to make it foamy)

Wash your hand several times with soapy water.

Peel a decal, only handling the edges and outside face, and dip in the soapy water.

Set it down lightly in the area where it wil be placed, and slide it gently into position.

While wet, it will be easily slid or peeled until it is pressed upon.

Using a thumb, credit card or small squee-gee, start from the center of the decal and squee-gee the water and air towards the outside. Work your way around the decal, always starting from the center.

After all decals are applied, take a soft cloth and squee-gee the decals again. Be sure to press the decal into any low countours very thoroughly.

If there are bubbles under the decal, use a pin and puncture them in the center with a tiny hole. Work the air or water out through the pinhole.

Leave all the parts out in the sun for a day to further evaporate any water.

The dish soap will not harm the adhesive or compromise it's bonding integrity.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
:stupid couldn't have said it any better. I'll emphasize to take extra care with the sharp corners. those thick dirt graphics dont like tight bends, so you may have to be extra careful with those areas :thumbup

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now thats what I'm talking about :hail

Thanks suprachrgd82 and TLR-Billbo I'll let you know how it goes, will be attempting it when I finish my shift in 4 days.

The people on this site are the dogs Bollo*ks and in case that is lost in translation .....you lot are the best!! :)

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
oh snap! :bitchslap :kicknuts :laugh

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks suprachrgd82 and TLR-Billbo I'll let you know how it goes, will be attempting it when I finish my shift in 4 days.

Jeeez where did the time go :laugh

nearly done,thanks for the advice guys :hail

Before:-

After:-

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
That is quite an improvement! Don't forget the fork guards:)

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is quite an improvement! Don't forget the fork guards:)
plenty of time for that now, my lads off riding for a week or so with suspected Scaphoid fracture :banghead

1st xray is inconclusive, the 2nd xray in a week to confirm :dowhat fingers crossed as he is one week into his apprenticeship in a auto paint shop.
If it is broken,could be a long fix and lost apprenticeship!!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:doh I've no idea what a scaphoid is, but doesn't sound like it should be fractured.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:doh I've no idea what a scaphoid is, but doesn't sound like it should be fractured.
bone in the hand...normally broken when landing on out stretched hand after a fall (BMX in this case) tiny bone/potential long fix :banghead

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I'll try to remember to keep my hand closed when I fall then :scared

·
Registered
334 Posts
nice job. your son should be proud to ride that :thumbup

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Sucks about the hand, but it's amazing the difference between those two photos. Great job!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts