TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what wheels will bolt right up to a DRZ-SM? Obviously DRZ-E and S wheels do, but what about RM125? RM250? KLX?

I'm trying to pick up a set of dirt wheels to throw on my SM to hit the trails and when I search ebay for E or S wheels, I only get a few hits, and they are expensive. But when I search for RM125/250 wheels I get more hits, and they are cheaper.

so whats compatible? I can put a 44 tooth on the rear dirt, and a 320 mm disc on the front so I can just swap out and go. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The 320mm disk will be somewhat damage prone off road, but should be fine for fire roads and novice off road stuff. You'll want a smaller rotor I think before you go do a technical rocky ride with Duken.

No clue what fits, but you can check wheel bearing sizes on ronayers. Do note that RM stuff won't have a provision for a spedo drive (which might not matter to you). I'm fairly sure a late model RM front wheel will fit, don't know about the rear:O

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx BP. I know the 320 rotor isn't a good idea for tech riding, but I'm more interested in just riding some trails, nothing aggressive.

I know the RM rims will work (since the DRZ-SM's come with RM front ends) i was just not sure if the 125/250/450 rims were the same or not.

I thought I heard someone say that all/most Suzuki dirt/dual sport rims sport the same spacers and hubs...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The front ones are the same as far as I know, the rear ones are different widths (125 2-stroke and 250 four stroke will be narrower than the big bikes).

The forks aren't entirely the same as RM forks entirely (travel, spring rate, damping and possibly brake mount are different), but I think the tripples and axle drop-outs are the same.

Have you searched at TT? I'm sure someone would have asked this before:O

good luck

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Do note that RM 125's usually run 1.95" rear rims (for a 100-110 series tire) and 250's run 2.25" rears (110-120 series tire).

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yah, I tried the sketchy TT search function, but it only works half the time. There are a million threads about converting DRZ-SM's to dirt, but couldn't find any compatibility threads...maybe I should just PM Eddy

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
yeah, their search function sucks, point google at their site and try that:D

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
All the DRZs use the same hubs. If you can find a set of "E" or "S" wheels you are in business as far as the wheels go. The sticky point is the brake rotor. You would need another big rotor for easy swaps, but as BP mentioned, such a big rotor might be prone to getting bent on rocks on the hell rides I would take you on :laugh

I happen to have a set of TLS rotors that I am not using. One is already slightly pre-bent. I wonder if they would fit a 2nd wheel. Maybe, given Suzuki's fame for parts bin engineering.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts