TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chaparral is having a great sale on Maxxis tires. I've currently got their IT's (don't know if they are the desert or standard model) on my 350 and very impressed with how they are holding up. They were used when I got them and I've done about 300 miles of pavement and quite a bit of rocky off road and there's minimal wear.

I think this was what you have on the DRZ too right Craig?

Since the CR needs tires I figured I'd have some sent out that way, just trying to decide which model - IT or desert IT or something else:O I see they've got this new Radial SI tire that looks pretty interesting. The extra flex might be just the ticket for rock squidding:laugh Don't know how it would last though.

Then there's sizing 110/19 or 120/19 - I usually go with 110's on the MX bike as they feel a touch lighter, but not sure if the 120 might have an advantage on Colorado's long, loose rocky climbs and such (the radial only comes in 110 though). I could also quit being lazy and order up an 18" rear rim to lace to the spare hub and spoke set I've had in Craig's garage forever just for this purpose:laugh

They range from $54 to $70 (the radial is expensive)/ea with free shipping over $100.

Desert IT (regular IT looks identical, but I assume is made of different rubber or something)

Radial SI

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As a side note, I don't know if I left a service manual with the bike in Colorado - if you decide to do the top end, there's a manual here http://www.mediafire.com/?eebu1e9mowj but go by the Wiseco spec's where they differ (the fogred piston needs a little more room for expansion).

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Street legal or strictly dirt? :O If I don't sell/trade my TTR for a boat I need to get some tires this winter.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are not DOT rated, but I've found the Maxxis IT's do better on the street than a lot of "DOT" knobbies (I've done 140 miles of freeway in a day on them with the DR).
That's not to say they are great on the street - they still make quite a lot of noise and can wonder around a little, but they are predictable and don't chunk. We ran one twisty bit of road last weekend and I managed a pretty decent pace - ran off and left a bunch of 650's on more road-oriented tires:laugh

This purchase is for my CR which while technically street legal, won't see any significant amount of street and I'm not concerned with a DOT rating - its not really enforced and you can guess what I think about the utility of having governmental approval of my tire selection:laugh

Also, DOT tires have heavy steel beads that make changing tires a pita (and as best I can tell are completely unnecessary from a functional perspective - these non-dot tires get run at 120mph in the desert on XR650R's all the time and don't explode or anything:deal).

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
I have the Desert IT on the DRZ. Been using that particular tire for years as it is inexpensive, reasonable to mount and lasts awhile. The only downside to the Maxxis I see is they don't run flat well under the DRZ's piggish weight :lol Still made it back to the trailer though :)

The tire I have on the DRZ now was part of a dual tire order from Chapparal. They had the same deal, so I bought 2 in order to get the free shipping :hail

I went ahead and ordered one for the CR and one for the DRZ, that way I get the free shipping. My DRZ rear is still pretty good, but likely will be beat after my 1 week vacation buddy with WR450 in tow coming up from Socal starting on 10/2 off road ridefest extravaganza. I would like to have the CR freshened up in anticipation of that, so the timing of this post is most excellent :laugh I plan to ride the DRZ some, and the CR some. My plan is to use the light sharp steering CR for Rampart and such. I had a blast on it there before. The DRZ will go on the rocky moonlike high elevation rides.

Photo whore to come :devious

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:thumbup Let me know what I owe you. Can't wait for the photowhore:drool

With the low-profile 19" rear and fairly light weight, air is pretty optional on the CR. I ran ~8 miles of tight, rocky ride I led in VA with no air and it didn't make much difference:laugh

I also ran 3 laps at Budd's Creek on my YZ125 with no air in the rear and didn't loose any spots. Cornering was a bit compromised, but I still did all the jumps and such.

I did a poker run last weekend and a guy on a DRZ had the rear suddenly go flat at about 50mph on the road. It was quite dramatic, the bike almost instantly pitched sideways, then bounced back to the other side - it was sufficiently out of sorts that I thought he was going down. Thankfully he didn't. I think the taller sidewalls of 18" rubber make them more dependent on inflation :O

·
5,503 Posts
I had an 18" rear on my 2 smoke 500. It ran flat and finished several desert races no problem. Of course that tire was a Dunlop 695 Desert IT 6 ply thing held on by two rim locks. It was a real joy to mount too :laugh

Don't worry about the cost of the tire. I figure free use of a nicely set up CR250 is payment enough :devious

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, thanks:hail

If you do the top end (probably a good idea if you have time), that high compression head could go on at the same time and should partially counter the altitude there. I'm pretty sure that, given the altitude, it'd still be fine on pump gas too.

·
5,503 Posts
That is the plan :devious

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:thumbup :roost

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
sounds like an awesome time. ran into ken at cooks yesterday and he took me all about it. :thumbup also cant wait for the pictures. how bout some wheelie vids? :devious

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Along these lines, by buddy who runs a MC shop in VA gets a lot of left-over bikes from MFG's - he moves a ton of volume so when they don't sell elsewhere Honda ships them to him. Anyway, I just noticed he's got left-over '08 CRF450Rs for under $4k and some nice deals on husqvarnas as well:drool
http://motorcyclefactoryinc.com/Default.asp

1 - 12 of 12 Posts