TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of selling my track bike and getting back to my roots of dirt riding.
It's too hard for me to get to the track these days, and the bike just sits.
For you dirt guys (since I've been out of the scene for some time) what's your take on the WR 250F?
I'm leaning towards one if I decide to bite the bullet.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Its a fairly good off road race thumper. Motor tends to need a little less attention than a CRF250X but it doesn't handle quite as well either (imho, opinions vary). The tank is kinda bulky feeling and a lot of folks mount YZ seat/tank to slim it down. Its very user friendly and easy to ride.

If your thinking about MX then its not a great option but for harescrambles, enduros and the like its quite good. Another option is the TE250 which is similar in performance but a little slimmer, a little less maintence and factory street legal.

The CRF-x has better suspension and feels smaller/lighter but might require valve adjustments every so slightly more often.

(note, minor uncorking is necessary to make most of the non-closed course bikes run right, this includes the WR and CRF-X and probably the TE).

You might also think about the 125-200cc two strokes. 125cc MX bikes can be had very cheep and converted for off road use. They are super light and cheep to maintain as well. The KTM200EXC is an excelent bike as well as is the KDX200 and the Euro 125cc enduro bikes. All are different, but all good at what they do. I find small bore two strokes the most fun to ride and also the best for honeing riding skills. 4-strokes are the most forgiving and easist to ride but also tend to encourage lazy riding:) 250cc two strokes and 450cc four strokes both have more power than I'll ever be able to use, but I have one anyway:) Best reserved for more experenced off road riders though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
me mate had a yz400f (great bike!)

he sold it for a husky wr250 (two stroke road reg!)
i took it for a spin (f*ck me top bike looks great)
worth a look:)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Here's some pics for good measure.
My KX125, sold it last spring:( Great bike though, you can pick up a really clean one for ~2k or a more used one for 1.3-1.5k.

Notice how slim/flat/light a 125cc two stroke is:hail

Mom (KX100), wife (KX100), dad (WXC250) me (CR250) from left to right

My wife

Me

BTW if ya want something cheep ($1k), I'm selling my husqvarna WXC250 (same as a husqvarna WR250). Its a 250cc two stroke but tuned for woods riding. Performance and weight are pretty much just like a new KTM 200.

have fun

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I think the wr's are too heavy...and the 250 just doesn't have enough steam.

if we had a budget we could recommend better, but I think you'd like the yzf better than a wr.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Not enough power for west coast riding, but more than enough for east coast stuff imho:)

I'd probably get the YZF too, but then you loose the e-start and wide ratio trans...

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys fellas.
Lately I've ridden a couple CRF 450's, an older YZ400, a CRF 250X and a couple CR 250's.
The 450's are way more than I need and being barely 5 10, they are on the tall side for me (or at least feel that way)
I like lazy power of the four stroke over a two stroke these days.
The CRF250X had more than enough power for me. I really liked that bike a lot.
I'd be trail riding mostly, so I'm not concerned with an MX capable bike.
Budget would depend on how much I get for the GSXR. I'm not looking to get anything crazy or spend a ton of cash.
Used for sure and under three grand.
I've not heard of the TE

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The TE250 is Husqvarna's 250cc high performance off road bike. Sounds like a 250cc thumper would be perfect for you. The CRF-X, WR-F and TE are all quite similar in performance, just a matter of tast really. The TE is the only one of the bunch that's street legal from the factory although its not something you'd want to go slabbing on.

A KDX200 would be a lot less expensive with very similar performance. Its a two stroke, but tuned for woods riding and very forgiving/easy to ride. You can pick up a very nice one for under $2k used - look for '96 or newer. Don't forget to leave about a grand for gear:)

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a KDX for a short while. I was a good bike, I've just never been much of a two stroke guy.
I took a peek at Thumpertalk, that TE does look very cool.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Husqvarna's rock. Build quality is a notch above imho and they tend to require a bit less work than most. I doubt you'll find a used TE250 for 3k though, I think they only came out in 05 so there aren't any older ones available, but this time of year it you do come accross some good deals from time to time. Parts are pretty much always available, but you'll have to mail order them rather than pick them up from a dealer unless you happen to live near one of the few dealers that has husky stuff (FBF might not be too far from you).

good luck

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Go with a midbore thumper. You don't have to wring it so hard all the time and they are fun. The WR400 426 and 450 are popular and reliable. The DRZ 400E or kicker is a good bike that can be found cheap. They are not race bikes, but they are very smooth and maintenance pretty much consists of gas, chain clean and lube, oil changes and air filter cleaning.

A gratuitous DRZ picture for you. More important than the bike itself is where you get to ride it. I am a lucky SOB :)

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
More important than the bike itself is where you get to ride it. I am a lucky SOB :)
Indeed you are. However this Saturday I'll be riding where this fun little event will be taking place in a few weeks.

http://www.redbulllastmanstanding.com/

BTW, you should get some guys and come down for the race. Should be a good time watching insane people do the impossible on the ugliest of terrain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thing about power...it's great when it is available to you, and stinks when it's not. Encountering a big nasty hill or the gnarly stuff makes a man glad to have a few more hp.

I got this YZ400, with aftermarket engine work (built to 444, Kibblewhite valves/springs, etc..), and revalved suspension for $2400 usd.
Albeit a full on MX'er, the bike is fully capable of providing as enjoyable woods ride as any. -Hard and fast if you want it, or slow like a tractor...if you want or need it.

There should be an ocean of YZ426/YZ450's you could find for a good price.
The maintenance and reliability factor of the Yamaha dirt thumpers is a bit better than the other modern brands, save for maybe KTM.

I know the feeling of too short, being 5'7". But these bikes can be made to set lower for the shorter riders. (shaving seat, modifying subframe, shock spacer, etc...)
As mentioned, if e-start and a wider ratio tranny are important to you, stick with the WR. If not, I would choose the YZF's over the WR pigs.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Not enough power for west coast riding, but more than enough for east coast stuff imho:)

I'd probably get the YZF too, but then you loose the e-start and wide ratio trans...
Why would you want a wide ratio tranny for tight eastern stuff?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Because there are ocasional sections that are somewhat fast and lots of sections that are really tight. With a close ratio box most people find themselves running out of gearing at one or both ends of the spectrum. I actually run much taller than stock gearing on my CR which seems counter intutitive for tight stuff but works out well as it makes first useable in slipery/technical terrain and improves top end. Overall, the variation in speed is quite large making a wide ratio box very handy. You can get by with a close ratio box just fine - I do on my CR but it sure is nice to have a wide ratio or 6spd gearbox imho.

If ya ever make it out this way we should go riding (I usually have extra bikes around). It will all make sense:)

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I guess. I just much care about top speed. I flipped mine at about 45 on a fireroad in a race a couple years ago so prefer to keep it in places where 20 is a good speed :)

Might head out this weekend, first time in a long time, two friends I race with both have new bikes, one is an 07 450f....sounds like a beast.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Cool:thumbup

Even though the average speed for an east coast harescramble or enduro is usually in the 21mph range, there are typically sections where most A or B riders will find themselves tapped out of close to it and of course there are a lot of sections where even A riders will be well under 20mph.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
A or B riders! :laugh I'm in the Z rider group where 21 is about my max speed over terrain.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Don't kid yourself, A riders aren't necessarily faster, just been doing it longer. I currently (or used to, taking a year off) ride the A open class. I'll finish mid pack in my class and A overall....not necessarily fast, but did a year in C, 2 years in B...they promote you automatically after a certain number of points.

Toughest race I did was Wickenburg national a couple years back. You never really know how slow you are until the same groups of guys pass you after EVERY damn check...standing up, sliding through the corners, railing on the straights, kicking up dust for me to eat :-(

gotten away from dirt for a while though, got tired of putting every weekend on hold to go to a race...more interested in just playing around now.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I know what that's like. I raced the ECEA points race at Delaware a few years ago. It was well attended by the usual group of pro's and I think I got laped every other lap or close to it. IIRC I managed 7 laps, the winner (Fred Andrews I think, followed by Lafferty and MX Kied) did 12 and I thought I was moving along pretty quickly:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts