TLZone Forums banner

Ride or Truck the bike Home

• Ride it! Never pass up a chance for Adventure!

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Truck it you idiot, 300+ miles on a 250 is crazy.

Votes: 7 36.8%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a DR250SE that's currently near PVD RI, seller is happy to meet me in Greenwich CT if I like.

The dilemma is, do I take public transportation up to Greenwich then ride the bike home or do I drive the truck up and carry it home:O The former would be much more fun and adventuresome, the latter, more practical.

Just FYI a DR250SE is a 250cc single cylinder dual sport bike. The one in question has less than 2k miles on it and has 50/50 dual sport tires (i.e. pretty knobby). Top speed is about 75mph, but probably wouldn't want to cruise more than 50-55mph for an extended period of time.

Bike looks like this

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
If weather permits, ride it. :yes

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I go within the next month it will almost certainly be decent weather:)

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Then what's the problem? You've got a perfect reason to ride a bike you just bought.

You could get a map and locate some smaller roads to ride on our way home. That's no bike for highway riding. You could take a map and simply draw a straight line from Greenwich to home and try riding it. :devious That bikd should be excellent in more technical terrain. It's a four stroke right?

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...its a straight shot from where the bike is to your place but do you want to get caught on the road with an unfamiliar bike if something happens?...

·
Registered
945 Posts
chucks_net said:
Take a truck and truck it home.

Nothing but 80mph highway NYC traffic from Greenwich through New York. Plus if they catch you they will impound your ride ($1000).

Make sure he means Greenwich CT and not Greenwich RI...
What would they impound it for? It appears to be set up to be street legal. :O

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Eh...I'd truck it if it were me. A bigger bike...different story, but that little thing. Truck it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Ride it, its a dual purpous bike! Its made to ride in all sorts of conditions, what better way to test it then ride it through whatever gets thrown at yah!

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Registration -not for highway use tires/ bike. You would stick out like a sore thumb doing 65 while everyone is screaming past you. RI plates -you would have to ride his plate because temps you can only use in your home state. You will need insurance or its a $500 fine + impound is mandatory.

Don't forget misuse of plates = jail + impound

So many stolen bikes in that area you will be stopped numerous times...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its 100% street legal, not even a dual sport conversion, but factory street legal just like a DRZ-SM or what have you.

I'd have my own tags on it (seller and I are exchanging title/check via mail so I'll have plates for it before I go get it).

Getting stopped would be a hassle though and I'm not keen on much slabbing. I guess I need to take a close look at a map and see if there's any option other than extended interstate riding.

It is an air cooled 4-stroke, 22hp. Exact same bike as a DR350SE, but with a shorter stroke and smaller bore (same cylinder casting, engine cases etc). 6spd trans. Should top out at 75mph and cruise comfortable around 50-55mph with stock gearing.

And yes I could pick it up in Greenwich CT or Providence RI (I've never been to either place really).

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
truck it home.....sorry if it was a street bike then i would ride it...but wont those hwy miles eat those tires up?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The tires are probably good for ~3k miles, it has 1800 miles on it now. It will definately wear them down some with all the street miles, but it wouldn't be as bad as a full knobby.

·
14,150 Posts
The thing that worries me when I think of doing something like this is that you don't really know the condition of the bike your buying. This is troubling enough for the purchase, but to trust it to ride it home too is definately worrisome. I'd truck it home then go over it with a fine tooth comb before trusting it to take you anywhere of any significant distance.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chuck, I really appreciate your input. I have no experence with the NY area at all.

I have ridden up Rt 15 before when I rode up to Toronto on the TL. It would be nice on the DR - mostly 45mph speed limits, sorta twisty with cool little towns and views. If I could come up with a decent way to get from Greenwich CT to Rt 15 I think I'd be all set:) It might not be reasonable possible without a little interstate riding. How crazy is the traffic around there on a Saturday morning (I'm thinking about doing it a week from this saturday)?

Thanks guys:thumbup

BTW I added a poll so go back and vote:banana

Jasen, that's a good point for sure. The worry is somewhat mitigated in that they guy is a memeber at advriders and I've talked with him a lot. I'm pretty confident that he's an honest guy and the bike has been well cared for (and its only got 1,800 miles on it). Still, its totally possible for something to go wrong.......

·
14,150 Posts
Ahhh, much better when you at least know something about it. If it was an ebay bike...:rolleyes

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
I went to school in Providence RI for 2 years and there is always construction all the way up in that area... it is a straight shot but its a PITA and in Conn they have some pretty fast chase cars...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gixxerjasen said:
Ahhh, much better when you at least know something about it. If it was an ebay bike...:rolleyes
Yeah, I should have said that earlier. I wouldn't even be asking this question if it were an e-bay find:scared

BX, the seller didn't seem to think that I'd like much of Conn either, but Greenwich looks to be more or less on the Conn/NY border so I wouldn't have too far till I was clear of Conn and NYC (this is all from looking at a map, not real experence with the area)

·
Who loves you
3,370 Posts
I have not voted, but MHO is trailer it home. I just did that drive a month ago and it sucks bad, it is ALL super slab and is traffic maintaining 75+ in every lane. It took me 11.5 hours to get to NH from Richmond, about 6.5 hours to get to the GW bridge on 95 in NY which is not too far from Greenwich CT. It would be no fun at all on that bike bro, just do the truck.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts