TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got one about an hour ago. It will be mostly for my wife, but I'll try to use it a bit too. Came accross one on-sale locally for about the same as the online discount places and picked it up. It came with a lense, but I still need to get a CF card and probably some sort of lense protector/uv filter type gizmo. I've never used an SLR of any type, my wife has used film-type SLR's back in high-school photography comps.

Any pointers, comments etc?

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks for the link:thumbup

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
i have an XT as well.

keep shooting and playing around with the manual settings. the kit lens is pretty good if you're entirely new to SLR's and will give you most of the range you'll shoot in. i suggest getting the 50mm f/1.8 as your 2nd lens. it's <$100 and the best bang for the buck lens from canon.

few sample shots

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, great shots:hail Thanks for the info about the lense as well. I'll pick one up sooner or later:thumbup It is our first digi-SLR and my first SLR of any type. My wife used an SLR in highschool as she was into photography back then, but hasn't really done any since.

For the lenses - an 18-55 like my kit lense, the "18" is when its zoomed all the way in and the 55 all the way out right?

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
Read your owners manual also. There is a lot of info in that small novel they sell with it. I have a cannon rebel X2 35mm and just got a sanyo 6.0 for my tankbag camera. BTW check out walmart for a card. They have 1gb cards cheap right now. Ask the photolab people, they will probably have some better types behind the counter.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:laugh Yep, still need to read the manual. At this point I haven't even got a clue how to do much of anything with it. I should have posted earlier, we snagged a 1gb high speed card for $25 at target a little while ago, so we are all set on that front for now.

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
Thats about what I paid for mine. Manual is actually pretty good, except when you get into exposure rates and adjusting shutter speed. Then the digital might be different on thos points.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I would personally stay away from Nikon lenses, the reviews say nothing good about them once you spend anything over 100 bucks. I have a Rebel as well, shot these with my new canon lens just yesterday ( 75-300 ):

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I always buy branded memory cards, thus Sandisk or Kingston. I had some nonames some time ago but they all failed after some time.

the 18-55 lens is 18 wide open and 55 in tele. Small number -> wide angle, big number -> tele. Better read that manual now :laugh

Gretings
Rufer

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info:thumbup Yep, I need to read the manual for sure:laugh

I don't remember what brand memory we got, but it was one of the big-name companies:)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So your 75-300 is a pretty powerfull zoom lense right?

·
14,150 Posts
75-300 is pretty powerful. It's the point of diminishing returns. To go to a 400 zoom is hugely more expensive. Also, with most things over 200 you'll need to be braced very well or use a tripod. I've gotten some good shots with the 300 hand held, but they are few and far between. I also have good luck with my monopod as it makes me a bit more mobile. 400 you'd most definately need a tripod for.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got a spiffy tripod for christmas:thumbup

I'll probably not be buying another lens till summer (wife's B-day), but I think I'll be shopping for a telaphoto lens and perhaps something with a ~1.8f value or so for faster low-light/action shots. The stock lense seems ok, but not great in that department. Something with similar zoom but lower a bigger arpature would be cool.

I just saw on e-gay that they have adapters to allow use of just about any manual focus lense with the canon XT, any thoughts on these? I belive my wife's mom (who also just bought an XT just like ours) has a ton of nice manual focus Nikon lenses.........

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Stay away from manual focus lenses with the Digital Rebels. There is no cross section viewfinder. And the viewfinder is quite small --> almost impossible to focus manually.
And bear in mind that digital SLR need good lenses to produce good images. Most old and cheap lenses don't work very well.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info:thumbup

·
Registered
878 Posts
So your 75-300 is a pretty powerfull zoom lense right?
I am very satisfied with the lens for the money, shopping online you can find them for around 130 depending on how hard you look. Its worth every cent for action shots, I used a real sketchy tripod to take the above photos. I used the kit lens to take the photos of my bike with the leds on.

I am now in the market for a nice tripod and monopod, anyone have any suggestions? ( Sorry, don't mean to hi-jack but I think it could help you as well since it basically necessary for use in low-light shots )

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
14,150 Posts
Just make sure you don't cheap out on the tripod. If you can set it up and use it before you buy it. Most of the really cheap tripods are short and if your tall, unlike me, this can be a pain as you'll find that with it fully extended you have to crouch a lot to take the pics. You might want to set it low for some shots, but for long range action shots where your doing a lot of shooting you want to be comfortable while getting your shots.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts