TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads. It takes about 7 cranks to start engine cold in the morning and driving neighbour's crazy as most of them at home during this shitfest and I have and early start before 7am for work. I know the Tl is hard to start but is there anything I can do to solve this? Cheers.

Registered
Welcome to the forum Olly69! 馃憤

I offer the thread linked below as a good place to begin. Unfortunately, the original poster never responded with his success or failure.

Starting problem

One other point I would add which is not mentioned in the link, is to verify your charging system. If it is not working properly, the battery remains in an undercharged state, and that makes for poor starting performance.

Also, do a search on "hard starting," or "cold starting," and there will be plenty of threads that discuss it.

Moderator,
The + mod made a big difference in how quickly mine started. The mod makes sure a full 12 volts is supplied to the coils. It also gave a small dyno proven hp gain. Well worth the effort after you make sure the charging system is working properly.

Registered
verify your charging system. If it is not working properly, the battery remains and an undercharged state, and that makes for poor starting performance.
Step 1!

Do this.

The + mod made a big difference in how quickly mine started. The mod makes sure a full 12 volts is supplied to the coils. It also gave a small dyno proven hp gain. Well worth the effort after you make sure the charging system is working properly.
Amen!

The last thing would be to get a lithium battery. (BUT ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE RESOLVED THE ISSUE)

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a mil lads and I'll check it out. I had to drip feed the battery over the winter because I let it go dead so could surely be a battery fault but will check charging system and other maybe problems. Thanks again for all your help.

Registered
As a workaround right now, you could use jump leads from a car battery if there is one nearby. You don't have to start the car, but the parallel batteries will reduce the voltage drop. Alternatively you could put the battery on charge overnight - again this is a pre-diagnostic workaround session to stop you annoying your neighbours as of right now. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts