TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what changes were made to the honda CRFs from 2004 on?

what about relative power differences? anything in particular that was a bug in any model?

-:banana

ps. yeah i know, your guess is a good as anyone's as to what the hell i'm up to. :laugh

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Rear end grip was always a problem for me on mine :lol

Quickly became known as "The Bone Breaker"

The big lesson I learned was never road race one for fun with a new chain, after about 4 laps the origional chain grease warms up and the rear tyre scrapes it off ready for the fastest left hander on the circuit :banghead

I have a brand new set of Genuine Honda Plastics and Genuine Clutch Friction Plates if you need them.

BTW not sure on the origional question :laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Crash, there weren't any major engine changes from 04-06. Power will be within 1-2hp (they might have changed little stuff like exhaust header and jetting I think).

I think it was '05 when they went to the 4th gen frame on the 450. Its not much different than the 3rd gen, in fact riding them back to back you probably couldn't tell the difference unless your a really advanced rider.

The suspension more or less got a little better each year - its got the same components all the way through but the valving and anti-stiction stuff got better as time went on (though if your re-doing it for SM this won't really matter).

The front forks on the '05+ have less offset (i.e. the front axle is closer to the bike) which gives the same effect as the 22mm tripples that everyone was using up to '05. Makes the bike turn better, esp on flat hard turns. I don't know how it changes its behavior as a supermoto.

If it were me I'd look for an 05+ but wouldn't pass up a great deal on an older model esp if it had all the popular mods:thumbup

No real bugs with any of them. They are all serious race bikes and require serious maintenence - oil changes every ride and valve checks every 5 hours are the norm, but hey you gotta expect some extra work when you have a 63lbs lump making 50hp:hail

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Ditto on the maintenace. I guy I ride with has an X model and siezed his tranny. They carry very little oil. He says he runs a full quart in it now with no issues.

Awesome bikes though, they are light and fast.

·
15,415 Posts
The CRF's are great bikes, especially in Supermoto form, but they bite :devious

What are you planning crashtd ?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Now that's weird, I haven't seen anyone with tranny issues - it uses seperate oil compartments for the engine and trans. Neither holds much, but it allows trans-specific oil to be used (and prevents clutch crap from circulating in the motor) IIRC it holds 600cc's in each compartment which isn't a lot but should be enough. Lots of folks increase the motor oil capacity if they are going to be doing lots of high speed stuff - the front down tube is a popular oil tank as is the baja designs skid plate/oil tank but I haven't heard of anyone having issues with the trans:O

have fun

·
15,415 Posts
I had no tranny problems, changed the oil every meeting or when it changed colour away from red in the engine side and every 2nd meeting for the gearbox.

Here's a little video from when I first bought mine to wet your appetite

Clicky

1 - 8 of 8 Posts