TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And I have 4 words for y'all..."who needs the street?"

It was sooo much fun I'm gunna try to get out again on th 29th.

I was absolutely amazed at several things.

First, I never realized that my bike was capable of doing the things it did such as tires holding the road so well, heavy braking, diving into turns at high speeds.

Second, it was also amazing that the difference in my riding cababilities from the first session to the last session was like night and day! It just got more and more intense everytime I took the lectures the instructors taught us and applied it to the track.

I even got so low in a left hand turn that I scraped my kickstand and my back tire loosen up a bit(ass puckering moment!!!).

Now, I'm not bragging because I'm only a beginner and there were much better riders than me out there, but all of the instructors told me that they were very impressed by the way I handled my TL. In fact they gave me the OK to pass anybody I came upon (as long as it was a safe pass). They also said that they would want me to come back and ride with a "control rider" because they think I could already advance to the intermediate group. However, I think I would rather stick with the beginner group for at least one or two more track days again. Then next season I would like to move to the intermediate group. What do you guys think? Is that a good way to think on my part?

One other thing I noticed. Of all the beginners that took this basic training course, the TLR was one of the oldest bikes there. Every other beginner was on big liter bikes(R1, CBR 1000, Ducati 999, GSXR 750 and 1000). And(again, I'm not tooting my own horn), in the last few sessions when the instructors gave us more freedom to play I smoked every single one of these bikes in the corners!

In summary, I'm hooked!! I think I'm going start investing in some stuff over the winter so I can start doing track days on a regular basis. Screw the street. It doesn't hold a candle to the track!

The wife took a few pics but they're not that good, but here they are.

And here's a crappy wheelie for posterity

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No more pussy strips on the rear :D

How does the front look? Is it possible to go all the way to the edge on the front?

Whoops!! Shaved a few milligrams off the kickstand.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Awsome:thumbup I don't think it matters much what kind of bike your on or how new it is unless your really really fast. I know I can't come close to using the full potential of a TL, much less a newer bike.

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
madkaw said:
How does the front look? Is it possible to go all the way to the edge on the front?
:yes

I can relate to that feeling did 3 trackdays this year and like U say who needs the road :O and the bike has never feelt so light as it did on the track:hail but I was cheating with michelin race tyres and whoooooha the grip is insane

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,857 Posts
Already No1 :hail

Glad you enjoyed it. A lot more fun and cheaper than a speeding ticket :laugh

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Who needs the street? Why do you think I ditched the TLR for my track only Gixxer? Between that and the dirt I'm pretty well satisfied. Though with the nice weather I've been thinking I need a third bike in the garage, just maybe not a sport bike. :devious

Told you it's addicting! I'd say think about moving up to the intermediate asap. You'd be suprised at what level you need to be in to ride the intermediate group. There's some slow folks riding there and most have done a few trackdays and will keep you from riding with those making "beginner mistakes" that could cost you. I did my second trackday in the beginner group and was sorry as everyone was in my way and I got run off the track by a guy making a stupid mistake. I've felt much more comfortable in the intermediate group. I think the beginner group should be for folks on their first trackdays or those who didn't improve at all on thier first trackday. Think about it. Silly Misfire was dragging knee while still riding in the beginner group. :bitchslap

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
as lasse said, yeah you can go to the edge of the front on the track because you go much closer to the edge of the rear. it might look like you've gone to the edge because the chicken strips are gone but there's still a fair bit of lean-angle left in that rear:thumbup

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I happen to be pretty pissed, Jeff - no invitation? :thumbdown

:rolleyes :laugh

Nice pics, though! :thumbup

Let me know when you're going again! Perhaps we can make it a party!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Soooo with you.. did 5 track days this year sold the bike.. bought a race only TLR
http://www.tlzone.net/forums/showthread.php?t=74713&page=1

started in the beginner class.. by my fifth track day.. i'm using the intermedate group as Pylons !
moving in the pro group next year..(or this year if i can squeek in another track day)

TOTALLY ADDICTED

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
What? No waving to the camera? :laugh

It's addicting... The track can actually be worse on your wallet than this site. :banghead :laugh :banghead

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Congratulations! Nothing is more fun or addicting! I am about ot order 2 rear slicks at about $230.00 each and I may not get a month out of them. But they are so grippy! Woo Hoo!

Enjoy the track time, it is very applicable to the street. Never, ever let folks tell you the TLR is a pig, because it ain't. A nice write up sir, wish we could be with you.

I think we need to plan a planet track day for next summer.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jim said:
I happen to be pretty pissed, Jeff - no invitation? :thumbdown

:rolleyes :laugh

Nice pics, though! :thumbup

Let me know when you're going again! Perhaps we can make it a party!

Sorry Jim. I got caught up in getting prepped for it I forgot to call you. I swear I had every intention on calling you too.. But I plan on going again the the 29th. So be there!!!

·
14,150 Posts
OldTLSDoug said:
Never, ever let folks tell you the TLR is a pig, because it ain't.
:rotfl Yes it is. But ya gotta love the big girl! :) Big bikes need lovin too! More cushion for the leanin! :lol

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OldTLSDoug said:
Congratulations! Nothing is more fun or addicting! I am about ot order 2 rear slicks at about $230.00 each and I may not get a month out of them. But they are so grippy! Woo Hoo!

Enjoy the track time, it is very applicable to the street. Never, ever let folks tell you the TLR is a pig, because it ain't. A nice write up sir, wish we could be with you.

I think we need to plan a planet track day for next summer.
$230.00 each? What did you order?

They didn't really say anything derogatory about the TL. All they were implying is that if I rode like I did with a lighter, more nimble bike(i.e. a 600), I probably could've been even more impressive. Actually, the instructors were very impressed with the TL(as were lots of other riders too). Everyone blew loads when they saw the clear clutch cover on it. My friend Krystie offered me her GSXR600 to take on the track next time but I'll just stick to the TLR. I never felt more "right" on it.

I'm all for the planet track day! But you sir will have to come up to Pennsyltucky!

·
14,150 Posts
The TLR motor is awesome at the track. Total tractible power. But if it's hot and your getting to really push it, it'll wear your ass out. Doug should be the first to admit this as he's now squirting around the track on that lithe little machine.

That doesn't mean the TL isn't trackworthy. It damn sure is. I contemplated racing mine but after laying out what it was going to cost to convert it I jumped on my track only gixxer. I still say though that the TL is a better street bike than it is a track bike. Ideal world, TL for the street and gixxer for the track. sigh....maybe someday.

Oh, and Doug is ordering full on Race Slicks for the SM. They are supposed to be easier on tires but somehow Doug is shredding the hell out of them.

Just ask Doug what his slider budget is! :rotfl

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
The track is awesome, but gets soooo expsensive :(

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
nice .. im gonna start doin track next year.. its gonna be fun , i bought my bike in march and it was my first bike so my riding skills have imporved a lot but i still wanna get more comfortable with the bike before i take it on the track.. i heard track day are a blast

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Screw the money. Ya can't take it with you when you die.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts