TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sold a new commercial water heater on ebay to a Guy in Birmingham on Sunday, payment came through via PayPal and was cleared so I booked DHL for Monday Collection.

Early hours of Tuesday morning PayPal suspend payment and withdraw from my account whilst it's under investigation :rant

I ring them and they say it's probably because the buyer is new and not confirmed his address yet,

Tuesday afternoon item is delivered and PayPal close case and return money to buyer,

Apparently because his credit card address didn't match his delivery address his bank withdrew payment even though PayPal said it was cleared :banghead

I have had numerous phone calls with the buyer who so far hasn't had time to check with his bank to confirm payment has been returned, so last night I layed down the law and gave him until Saturday morning to have a cheque on my doorstep or confirmation of bank transfer.

On Monday I shall contact the police, I can prove the item was not payed for and also that it was delivered and also the amount etc from the ebay auction.

Am I pissing in the wind going to the Police or is there another way :O

BTW He lives/business is in calthorpe road, edgbaston, birmingham :devious

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Theres always another way Sam as your title suggests :laugh but you dont really want to have to go down that road. If its a fair amount of money you are waiting for i would give him till the time stated and if no joy would take a ride/drive over there. Then you have the choice to either take it back or call the police if you still dont get no joy.

·
15,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm resisting the drive over there as it would probably boil over into fisticuffs :laugh

I've heard of the US guys getting the police involved and getting money back and wondered what our Police system was like and if anybody has any experience :O

It's a lot of money but I would rather put it down to experience than let it consume my life :rant

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
Get this!
The law in australia and there is little reason to suspect british law is different( we borrowed all of yours). if I write you a checque and get goods and the checque bounces the goods are legally mine. I am just guilty of fraud, but only if I knew there was insufficient funds. if it was an honest mistake then no case. You are still owed the money but have no legal grounds to retrieve the goods.
next stop debt collector.
I collect a bit of money for friends and two things work really well.
1) turning up on the bike with a three day growth and yesterdays clothes and peak hour traffic attitude. " i've come for the cash!" as an opener ususally produces the goods.
2)turning up and starting politely and escalating the volume till the whole neighbourhood knows he is a thief!!

This whole paypal thing is crap. The aussie consumer govt thingie told them they couldnt enforce paypal only on ebay and they pulled their head in.
sellers are at risk of idiots like your guy evryday.

hope u sort it well.

·
15,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Stu

I just got a follow up survey email from PayPal to complete on how my complaint was handled, talk about rubbing salt into the wounds, they got both barrels as you would expect :coocoo

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
This is a really useful link .
it provides the sellers registered details.
u may already have it but others reading may not
http://search.ebay.com.au/ws/search/AdvSearch?sofindtype=9

A letter of demand is a good place to start.

write to him give him 3 days to contact or pay and then pass to a debt collector.
they not only get hte money they block any credit applications he can make and this will force him to resolve any debts before he can borrow money again.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
BTW I am crap at collecting my own debts I get too close to murder to resolve the situation. I am great for other peoples. Get someone else to do it . they are not emotionally involved!!!!

·
15,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a really useful link .
it provides the sellers registered details.
u may already have it but others reading may not
http://search.ebay.com.au/ws/search/AdvSearch?sofindtype=9
Yes, done that :thumbup

There is a glow of light as the parcel was damaged in transit, the courier opened up the parcel to inspect and resealed it. The water heater was fine but the packaging was wet from been left outside I guess at the depot.

So I have filled out a claim form.

The other annoying thing was I saw the package was recorded as held and damaged from the tracking information online on Tuesday and at that point I also knew about the returned payment so I rang the courier to get it returned to me. They said no problem as it was been held, 30 minutes later it got delivered :banghead I was so close to getting it back :rant

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
F*** :banghead

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:doh best of luck with it.

I'd have thought that would be fraud and theft, but I'm not an expert in current British law (though oddly enough they seem to work in a lot of ancient British common law into our course of study here). Nowadays there are probably specific statutes to cover this sort of thing.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Take the buyer down for fraud, take paypal down for theft.

·
15,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Many times over.

They wont sign the Australian EFT code of conduct.

·
Registered
418 Posts
dont think the old bill will get involved under the circumstances, but theres probably somthing the office of fair trade or trading standards can do against paypal. If he dont pay you can persue the case through small claims court which could take a while and i've known cases where no action was taken because the third party just conveniently disappeared.......i would open polite dialog with the guy, dont demand, dont shout or be abusive and you stand to get somewhere. if that dont work find out where he lives and murder his mother to start with.:devious

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
whats his attitude, is he playing the game or not? What reason has he said he's not willing to send a cheque etc. If he's kosher, he will do so, Seems strightforward to me.Seems At least he's talking, when they dont answer the phone is when you know its going pear shaped,

But I'd mention early and cl;eary your willingness to go to the police./Get a solicitor on it. That can often be enough.

·
15,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He just rung me now, apparently his plumber can't work out why it doesn't have a spout etc, I said because it's an undersink water heater that connects direct to a hot tap :coocoo

Anyway, I said either send it back, send a cheque or get your plumber to ring me tomorrow. He said he'll speak to his plumber in the morning.

He sounds quite genuine but he's not exactly rushing to get me my money which is the main concern.

I've read up on various forums and the Police is the route to go as this is a common scenario, they will open up a fraud case against them, his credit card company will be contacted and he will be black listed until his debts are paid.

If he hasn't rung me by mid day I will ring him to remind him about the Saturday Deadline.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Let me know how you get on, he is only round the corner from me, literally. I guess if you dont get any joy then a visit will be in order. Im sure if you take a ride over i can get a few "friends" together to help you out.
This kind of thing is a pet hate for me.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
He just rung me now, apparently his plumber can't work out why it doesn't have a spout etc, I said because it's an undersink water heater that connects direct to a hot tap :coocoo

So he's brainy then!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I've heard of similar things here, if it is small thing Mr. Plod has replied sorry thats not criminal its a civil matter, but if there are a number of complaints and it appears they are a professional fraudster then it somehow becomes criminal :coocoo

It sucks either way - have someone bang on his fukin door, didn't he read the small print, the item remains yours until paid for. Bugger this 3 day crap, you know when something isn't paid for :kicknuts

1 - 20 of 48 Posts