TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. so I am trying to get rid of my 02 tlr for a year now and yesterday I contacted a dealer on the Wis. and MN. border that is looking to buy used sportbikes. I told him what i had and all the stuff on it and that it only has 3900 miles on it all put on by me in a very caring manner. This bleepn piehead tells me it is only worth 3700 dollars on the top end. I laughed at him and said it is obvious that you are a moron and now I know why you are a honda and yamaha dealer. Caught that piehead off guard:)

·
Registered
603 Posts
You cant expect them to take it and give you even close to what you would want to sell it for. They have to make money too ;)

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
Use their price as a guide. Add what you think the dealer would add to it and try and sell it for that. Maybe you wont be stuck with it for another 12 months. :dunno

(No one turn this into a market place thread!)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh ya but come on the bike on nada is valued at 5800 retail. The guy would have had to do nothing but sell the bike.I would have delivered it and had it clean. so if it sits there what does it cost him. If he makes 400 bucks he makes 400 bucks even 200 just for answering the phone. My lawyer doesn't make 200 bucks for a phone call.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think 5800 dollars is a bad price for a totally loaded low mile tiller. I haven't been pushing it real hard otherwise I am sure it would sell, but when you only mention it to 5 people or so and only put it in the paper for a week I quess you can't say it has been for sale for a year. Just the first person that was going to buy it confronted me about a year ago.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
It's only worth as much as someone will pay for it. If NADA says it's worth $5800 but you can;t sell it for $5800 then NADA is wrong. :dowhat

·
Registered
603 Posts
Its worth 5800 retail...but see whats its worth on a trade in or sell back. A dealer may pay 6k for a car then turn around and sell it for 10k. Retail is completely different than a trade in.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I think I will keep in the garage for a couple more years and when she is a true classic I will take it to the ANTIQUE ROADSHOW and get it appraised and someone from here will be calln.lol[
IMG]

Be lookn for this babe in a couple

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
...I laughed at him and said it is obvious that you are a moron and now I know why you are a honda and yamaha dealer. Caught that piehead off guard:)
I dont think he's the moron...

It's no secret that you get bent over when trading in or selling a bike to a dealership. If you paid attention when you were researching the NADA value you would have noticed a RETAIL value and a TRADE IN value, and dealerships rarely go over the TRADE IN value :coocoo

Talk to Duken and see how much he got for his even more loaded TL from the dealership. Either keep the bike and enjoy it, or come to terms with the fact that it's not gonna sell for $5800, ESPECIALLY to a dealership :laugh

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
you guys don't get my point . I bet there is not one of you who would sell your tl for 3700 and I can bet that 95% of them are not even close to being as clean as mine. I see most of you guys trying to sell bikes on here that have been rashed 2 or 3 times and have 15000 miles for 4000 bucks but then you sit here and tell me my 3900 mile bike is worth the same. That is to funny. hey tucker I see it says a 1999 tl1000r sold so tell me what you got for it since I AM THE MORON and tell me what kind of shape she was in and maybe provide me some pics to back it up.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The thing is to us here or maybe other suzuki junkies the tl's are worth their weight in gold, but out side of that people look at the tl's and think it looks nice but it's heavy and it's old. As far as the stealership they are never goona give what you think it's worth even if they think it's worth that , they want to make a quick buck you know. your best bet to sell it is classifieds,ebay or here! So with that said i hope you sell it for what want for it!:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think people here get your point. It's just that we also understand how these dealers make their money. Of course they are gonna low ball you. That's how they make their money,,,low money to you,,,they sell it for more. That's why you never trade in a bike, you sell it and put a down payment down.
Cause other than that, you're just giving your shit away.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I am going to keep it someday one of you will want it and I will make out big might even be the kids college tuition. lol

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
you guys don't get my point . I bet there is not one of you who would sell your tl for 3700 and I can bet that 95% of them are not even close to being as clean as mine. I see most of you guys trying to sell bikes on here that have been rashed 2 or 3 times and have 15000 miles for 4000 bucks but then you sit here and tell me my 3900 mile bike is worth the same. That is to funny. hey tucker I see it says a 1999 tl1000r sold so tell me what you got for it since I AM THE MORON and tell me what kind of shape she was in and maybe provide me some pics to back it up.
um wow :O

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I bet there is not one of you who would sell your tl for 3700 and I can bet that 95% of them are not even close to being as clean as mine.
I wouldn't stand so hard on the soapbox about both of those points. Duken's was quite clean and he traded his in.

Oh, and let's not forget Doug's bike. That thing was tricked out beyond imagination and he took trade in for it. Then poor Misfire bought it from the dealer. If only those two slobs could have found one another in time.

How much did I get for my TLR? Oh...I dunno, about $2004gsxr.600 for it. :laugh

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
ok kdog, simmer down buddy. You know what I meant. I never said what your TL was worth. I'm sure it's the hardest, cleanest, fastest TL in the world, but that doesn't mean shit to dealers. I never said, implied, or even suggested your bike was just as good as another, so calm down big guy.

and if you must know, I sold my TL for $3100. It had been down, repaired, and ready for paint. I paid $3600 for it, ran it for less than a year and took it in the ass when I sold it. The only reason I sold it for that much was because a TL enthusiast wanted it. Yes, your bike was better than mine and any other TL, I'm sure. In fact, if I saw your bike in a dealership with a $5800 price tag, I'd probably go for and not have a problem with the price. In other words, a TL will not catch a fair price from a dealer. Plain and simple. squids want gixxers and ninjas and R6's, not 5-10 year old heavy twins. Thus, dealers will NOT pay top dollar for an "undesirable" bike.

I thought this was common knowledge :O

·
Registered
470 Posts
ok kdog, simmer down buddy. You know what I meant. I never said what your TL was worth. I'm sure it's the hardest, cleanest, fastest TL in the world, but that doesn't mean shit to dealers. I never said, implied, or even suggested your bike was just as good as another, so calm down big guy.

Thus, dealers will NOT pay top dollar for an "undesirable" bike.

I thought this was common knowledge :O
On top of the fact that the dealer's going to sit on the bike for at least three months with his CASH tied up in it. What do you think that's worth?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I wouldn't stand so hard on the soapbox about both of those points. Duken's was quite clean and he traded his in.
Thats what i was saying. I wouldnt go on and on about no ones being as clean as yours. :coocoo :laugh Ever check the pics section?:banghead

Everyone gets your point. But like was said. we understand how they make money and they cant offer you what they are going to sell it for.:coocoo Most of us just found it funny that you were calling him the pinhead for what seems like a reasonable trade in value.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I got $4700.00 for this one, I had $16000.00 in it including the original purchase price ($8924.00). You won't ever make money on a bike, sport bike accessories don't mean shit, like they do on a Harley. If you don't like what you get, don't sell it.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
One option you might consider is to offer it to a dealer to sell it on consignment. There's places that'll do this. They get some of the sale price and you don't have to deal with the selling process. Their take is usually a percentage so they'll try to get you top dollar for it. Then it'll all seem fair if you know up front what percent they'll make on it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts