TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried doing a search and didn't come up with anything current or that I've already tried...

The bike is a 2000 TL1000R

I took it out for a ride after it was a little fussy about starting. It felt like it was running on one cylinder and after a couple of minutes the second one kicked in. It ran fine for about 40 miles and I stopped and took a break.
When I fired it back up to head home it only ran on one cylinder all the way.

Once back home, I took apart the airbox and dropped the radiators. I looked at the linkage (everything was fine), checked compression (good), and checked the spark plugs for fire (good).

When I pulled the plugs, the front one looked like a plug from a normally running cylinder. The rear one was clean but dry looking. This leads me to believe I'm not getting fuel to the rear cylinder.

Is there anything I'm missing before I pull out the injectors and try cleaning them?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Listen to them with a screw driver if you know that thrick. Any long rod or stick will work. If you have access to an oscilloscope or a really good graphing multimeter you can its recieving the proper signal.
But i would think you would only loose one at a time if it was a blockage issue meaning if you would kick it in the ass the second inject should come to the party on that cylinder. Are you running a power commander? If so take it out of play snd see if anything changes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice.
It does have a power commander; I'll try pulling that out of the circuit.
I didn't necessarily kick it in the ass but I did give it full throttle to see how much a single cylinder would pull the bike.
I don't have an o-scope or a graphing multimeter but I'll try the screwdriver trick.

Is that how the injectors are set to run - second one kicks in at high throttle settings?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for the advice.
It does have a power commander; I'll try pulling that out of the circuit.
I didn't necessarily kick it in the ass but I did give it full throttle to see how much a single cylinder would pull the bike.
I don't have an o-scope or a graphing multimeter but I'll try the screwdriver trick.

Is that how the injectors are set to run - second one kicks in at high throttle settings?
I guessing thats how they function, thats how most multi-port fuel injection works but either way if they spray at thevsame time or high low you wouldnt think both would drop out at the same time due to a clog unless that clog is in the fuel rail. I mean i guess it could happen.
But yeah give them a listen see if their clickin. Rhyme not entirely intended.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...I'm not convinced either that I've got a clog; just a gut feeling and a hope it's not something computer-related.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Had a similar problem with my buddies busa. A mechanic told him it was his injectors so he replaced all 4 and no change. I scope it for him and saw the one wasnt getting the right signal. Pulled the power commander off and gave'r hell and sure enough that was it. Electronically thats the only thing between the injectors and the ecm. Im betting that does it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, thanks. I hope you're right.
I'll post my results after I fiddle with it this weekend.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah let me know how it goes. Maybe the resident wizard will poke his nose in. That six5 guy knows his nits n bolts about these suzackis.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I removed the Power Commander and put everything back together. Bike runs on both cylinders now. It's a little stumbly at steady throttle around 4000 rpm...but at least it's running on both cylinders.
Thanks for the suggestion!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts