TLZone Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Please help, my spongey brakes have been bad for a while, Ive tried bleeding and squeezing of pipes, flicking out air buble, speed bleeders etc and I was getting by!!!

Last Tursday after a long ride home in the rain my front brakes are crap, i mean worse than usual and i mean pull the lever to the bar bad :O

Ive been toying with the idea of some braded hoses (any good web site pointers would be appreciated) but im not sure this is the cure, please give me your thoughts and experience on this :)

I had the offer to give a colleagues Aston Martin DB9 a run for his money tommorow :devious but I dont think i am going to cure this problem before then :banghead

·
Registered
124 Posts
Get A K6 or 7 master cylinder and put that on it made my brakes awesome, obviously make sure your calipers are in good nick too if not clean them so they are nice and free moving, get braided lines as 99% of people do that first this makes a big difference but as i've found the different master cylinder made the biggest difference to overall power and feel.

Cheers Cliffo:devious

·
Registered
400 Posts
:stupid

Check for sticking pistons and bleed the calipers when they are not attached to the forks. That way, you can rotate them to ensure all the air is out. Don't forget to zip tie a piece of wood between the the pads first.

I had to do this with my R1 calipers, they were a bitch to get 100% bled (with one broken hand and a wife unwilling to pump a lever....story of my life :lol)

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
You mentioned that after riding in the rain the brakes felt worse. That sounds like your brake fluid is absorbing moisture. I'd be willing to bet that you have 8 year old brake lines that look like their 8 years old, showing cracks and weather beaten. Replace the fluid again and make sure you bleed them well. I would always recommend that you replace the brake lines with braided ss or kevlar...just make for a better feel.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So update, now bought some braided hoses off eBay, will hopefully make good of bad brakes, proof in pudding and all that, cheers for confirmation of initial thoughts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts