TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding on the race track. I passed a buddy and the bike started sputtering, just like the rev limiter does. About a half a lap later it dies and won't start.:banghead

I got it home, I have zero spark, darkened the garage, kicked it with the plug out and nothing.............I have checked the following:

Valves, spot on
I am getting enough gas to smell it on the new plug
Installed new spark plug
Spark plug cap 4.72 k ohm
Coil reads per spec in service manual
Pulser reads per spec in service manual
Stator reads per spec in service manual
I pulled the harness off of the CDI, disconnected all the wires, checked for continuity in all the wires while wiggling them around, nothing, all wires intact. So the harness is good.
I cut 1/4 inch off the spark plug lead and re-installed the cap in a fresh piece of wire.

I think it must be the black box, help me find something else.:banghead

Thanks

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,857 Posts
No mention of checking the kill switch / kill switch wire?

Going by your symptoms though, I'm thinking black box :(

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked it also, part of the harness, unfortunately it works great. Great try though Steve!

·
Premium Member
7,287 Posts
doug sounds like the CDI mate just went through the exact problem with the XR630. $ :eek
i first thought it was the coil or cap (lead was a bit suspect) so i REPLACED it still no go. then thought it was the stator or exciter but all tested got & found out the CDI was the culprit. & it all just happend out of the blue bike sat for a day then next day no spark.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, that is what I was thinking.....dammit!

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Got any friends with a KTM like yours you can call to do a CDI swap to verify before you shell out the bucks?

The only other thing I can think of is a bad coil, but they are so damn basic, that never happens.

The bike is pretty new, so any bugs will show up early. Once you get it sorted, you should hopefully be good to go.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...over the summer I was in a marina where a guy had a brand new silverton 64 foot yaght and he was having all sorts of problems... it was less than 2 months old and the warrenty seems to be shite on new large boats these days so he was just trying to learn to do everything him self...saying "once I get all the bugs out, she'll be go to go"...(damn thing should have been right from the start at almost 1 million USD:banghead)...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Its worth double checking the stator and coil as well. I've had similar happenings from a bad stator before and its not unheard of for coils to crap out. One of the times I had a stator go bad, it read within specs according to the manual but the bike was really really hard to start and backfired a lot (a bad thing on a CR500) and on the rare occasion I did get it start it ran very badly. Eventually I ended up replacing the stator and it was good to go:O Pretty rare, though not impossible for the CDI to die. I don't know much about ktm's specifically, though my indirect experence with the RFS bikes at races and club rides hasn't been good from a reliability standpoint. I've never really ridden them, but have seen plenty that were inoperable for one reason or another (almost always electrical).

good luck

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fixed! Chip Munn and Dan at Munn Racing fixed me up. I went down there, they swapped out the CDI and no spark. We swapped the wiring harness (1 foot long, eight wires, $57.00) and Dan started teh damn thing with his hand! Runs great. Also got an SX muffler since mine had a spark arrestor, I swapped and got a brand new one. They also fixed my master link while there all for the price of one UK Dunlop Racing SLick in 3127 compound ($200).

I went to the track a little while ago and it rocks, I forgot my gas can so I ran 110 VP leaded gas ($7.50 a gallon :banghead) and the bike ran well on it. I did about 8 laps and I was worn out, so I will go back tomorrow after some rest. Also will try the TLS a little and see what we need to fix her up for track duty.

KTM is awesome, by the way, Chip diagnosed it spot on first pop out of the gun when I called him yesterday. These guys are the business for all your KTM needs worldwide, and I will shamelessly plug them forever. Good guys.

Click the log to go there.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Sweet:thumbup So there was some sort of fault in the wiring harness?

Munn is famous in the dirt world, didn't know you were close to them:thumbup

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
deltl1ks said:
Sorry to hear, warranty?
Warranty was..............you guessed it.........30 days and it didn't really cover anything.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope, but I have it, so I will tear it apart and see if I can repair it :coocoo

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Hey Doug....so did you swap them for the silencer or do you still have it? :devious

·
Registered
47 Posts
YAY!!! I'm happy! seems like everything got better! i'm glad. Be careful at the track tomorrow! I love you! (this is intended for my dad not jasen...just to be clear!) Now make the SV rock....:devious :devious :devious

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Its a race bike, a 30 day warrenty is generous for such toys:)

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Ah.
It still should cover stuff like ECU IMHO - not moving part after all & can't be more than a year old - that's GOT to be manufacturer defect :O

1 - 20 of 25 Posts