TLZone Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my steering damper bolts are stripped completely. How can I get them off with out the allen keys since they are round. Any cheap tricks??:banghead

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
since your going to replace them anyway, just put a pair of vice-grips on them... turn 'em out... :) some people do it all the time as they dont seem to see the removable cover over the allen hole.:coocoo

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well what about the ones holding down the tank? Their stripped too and you cant get the grips in their I swear my mechanic sucked

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...try a small dremel and notch the top of the screw head if you have a steady hand...

·
Registered
141 Posts
throw out harbor freight allen set and replace with good quality stuff . don't over torque screws on replacement.:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Sometimes you can hammer a slightly larger sized allen head socket into the stripped hole and turn it out. the impact will help loosen the bolt too. Good luck, just take your time and cover the painted tank area just incase you miss :)

·
Moderator,
8,244 Posts
:stupid Or a torx bit can be used as well.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
if none of the above works try hack saw blade or two, cut slot in top and flat blade on impact driver best of luck...

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
A trick i've used once, Ok a couple times, when i snapped off a bolt inside the threads from over torquing, was to us a small punch and "tap" the bolt in the dirrection you want it to go. you just "walk" the sheered bolt out till you can turn it out with something else. Might come in handy on later projects. But for that one id start with the larger allen head idea, torques bit, or taking a dremel/hacksaw and making a slot first.
:cheers

·
Registered
451 Posts
first try using vise-grips on the outside..you will only have enough room for a quarter turn but its worth a try before drilling and tapping :confused

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
If I remember right, on a 97 TLS the bolts are totally recessed into the damper mount bracket and no real chance for getting vice grips on them (hope I'm wrong).

If nothing else, dril the heads of the bolts off, take the damper mount and lift the tank, then use vice grips. You could also try drilling a smaller hole down the middle of the bolt and using a screw extractor/easy-out type thing.

good luck

BTW the quality of allen wrenches used makes a huge difference on how easily stuff stripps. I have found that impact rated allen sockets (even HF ones) rock and of course the snap-on ones are quite good too:thumbup

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
i have'nt had the problem yet. but whats best to replace the OEM with to guard against this problem (appart from using copper coat on the threads)

stainless steel hex head bolts :O

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
BikePilot said:
If I remember right, on a 97 TLS the bolts are totally recessed into the damper mount bracket and no real chance for getting vice grips on them (hope I'm wrong).

If nothing else, dril the heads of the bolts off, take the damper mount and lift the tank, then use vice grips. You could also try drilling a smaller hole down the middle of the bolt and using a screw extractor/easy-out type thing.

good luck

BTW the quality of allen wrenches used makes a huge difference on how easily stuff stripps. I have found that impact rated allen sockets (even HF ones) rock and of course the snap-on ones are quite good too
:stupid Drill the heads, lift the bracket off then wind the bolts out with vise-grips!

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
Easy outs, drill them and tap the easy out in , then back them buggers out. they are kinda like drill bits, but cut in reverse, and are cone shaped. Use the biggest one you can, the small ones snap pretty easy if the bolt is tight or frozen.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
THe little plastic caps that insert into the bolts are removed right?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
bx-459 said:
...try a small dremel and notch the top of the screw head if you have a steady hand...
:stupid

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
I would try the oversize torq driver first, preferably on an impact driver,a drill could be used to drill the cap head off, once the tank has been raised the remaining stud wil wind out by hand. Good luck mate :thumbup

1 - 18 of 18 Posts