TLZone Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding my TLR today and it started cutting out while riding it speedo and rev counter stopped working then misfiring then it cutout

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,304 Posts
The failure you describe is typical when the charging system is not working properly.
The odd behavior of the instrument cluster is the primary clue. The battery powers of system as long as it can, but since it's not being charged properly, it eventually runs out of charge. As the voltage gets lower and lower, the instruments begin to act strange, and shortly thereafter the system shuts down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The failure you describe is typical when the charging system is not working properly.
The odd behavior of the instrument cluster is the primary clue. The battery powers of system as long as it can, but since it's not being charged properly, it eventually runs out of charge. As the voltage gets lower and lower, the instruments begin to act strange, and shortly thereafter the system shuts down.
Many thanks

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,304 Posts
Just to fill in some of the blanks, the problem may not be due to the usual suspects, i.e. stator or regulator. It may be simply a poor connection between the components - stator/regulator/battery.

Years ago, the same symptoms left me stranded on my TLR. Once I was able to troubleshoot it, the culprit was the fuse holder I had used for the Charging Mod. The internal crimp between the wire and the fuse blade terminal was intermittent and became resistive. This prevented the battery from getting enough charging voltage/current, so it eventually died in route.
I replaced the fuse holder with an upgraded version, and all is well since then.

Still, since you don't know the cause of your problem yet, your charging system needs to be evaluated. The thread linked below can help you do that.

Definitive Charging System Diagnostic & Upgrade Thread

1 - 5 of 5 Posts