TLZone Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Zoners

I hope you are all upright and well..

Ive got the std headers and mufflers for my TLR in my garage.

Im going to do the mod - as per chuck -of gutting them to make them louder.

If I F it up them it dosent matter because there junk anyhow, and its winter so I need something to do.

I want to shorten them a little bit so does anybody have a photo, from the back end, of how they've finished the job off? Given that there is no end cap
as such just that rolled edge that would get cut off.

Any help would be great.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
418 Posts
probbably more trouble than there worth........i'm guessing the internals have an offset to damppen the sound..........but if there scrap any way then just take one apart and see, then start hacking.:O

i chopped carbon race cans down which was fairly simple

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
probbably more trouble than there worth........i'm guessing the internals have an offset to damppen the sound..........but if there scrap any way then just take one apart and see, then start hacking.:O

i chopped carbon race cans down which was fairly simple
Hey ******

Tell me, are there any disadvantages to short cans i.e do you lose bass and
that v-twin thump. Does it end up raspy aand screamy?
Does it ring in your ears given that the end of the muffler is more inline with your ears?
Thanks mate.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi, I been wanting to do this sort of mod for the longest time. Some guy on ebay was selling a modified set of sv1000 cans and i won the bid. They came and look great and to my surprise sound great. I have factory exhaust on my TLS that are slightly gutted (top behind end cap cut out. And they sound tough with good bass & a nice thump sound. He gutted the cans and filled them with glass packing and put a pipe with drilled holes in the center where the exhaust smoke flows through. It looks sort of like a machine gun barrel. Now i was not sure if this guy knew what he was doing but when i contacted him he told me that he placed a certain amount of glass packing to both give the cans the sound he wanted plus the best performance. I mount one just to see and hear the difference and they sound about the same to my cans BUT LOOK MUCH BETTER! I truly don't like the exhaust cans offered for the TL they look like torpedos (bit of an old school look) due to that new bikes come with the shorter cans now (ex. speed tripe, ducati). And if u want shorten cans from a brand name exhaust company they will cost a pretty penny. The only thing i would suggest is that u cut them at either end, about an inch away from either side or less. The ones i bought were cut and welded in the middle could be done much better. But i will mount these and modify my cans only BETTER. And from what he told me and what i understand about cans the more glass packing u pack the can with the dampened the sound gets. Danm this is like a short story i've written, hope it helps.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hey ******

Tell me, are there any disadvantages to short cans i.e do you lose bass and
that v-twin thump. Does it end up raspy aand screamy?
Does it ring in your ears given that the end of the muffler is more inline with your ears?
Thanks mate.
it aint never gunna sound like anything other than a twin regardless of which cans you use. Shortend straight through cans give more of a crackle as thers less sound deadening..........they are loud though and i get ringing in the ears after a good ride out which aint a bad thing cuz id rather listen to the ringing than my missus giving me greif for being out twice as long as i should have.:devious

1 - 5 of 5 Posts