TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I have tried search and looked all over the net. I swear i found them once before, but cant for the life of me. Im looking to replace the stock seat with an aftermarket logo seat. Anybody know where i can find seats for a TLR. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
There is a custom seat maker on eBay... they make seats (covers for yours) for the TLR and TLS (and many other bikes). The price is reasonable... and he just recently a TLR listing located here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUST...9232882QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I contacted him the other day and he is going to design me a set of covers for my TLS in my own color scheme. He is sending samples to my house for approval.

Several members on here have these, so they may stop in here to comment...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
can't pass up a chance to show pics...:devious

done by member Extender a while back

·
Registered
651 Posts
If you check out my album you can see the custom seats I got from Ebay like Ghost was saying. He did a good job i think to was under 100 and you just take your old one olff and put the new one on and restaple. You can choose the color and the style and shipping was fast I think within a week. I will try to get better pics up int he next day or two if that helps.

·
Registered
378 Posts
What about just peeling the leather off the seat and taking to it to one of the custom embroidering hat places you see in the mall? All you have to do is take them the design, they scan it into the computer, put a little ring around where the stitching will go to give it tension, and you're off and running within a few hours.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Check your local yellow pages for Upholstery shops. In this economy local shops are begging for business. If you can't find one in the yellow pages, check local paper for car club meets and check some of them out.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yellow pages? Try Craigslist...some people can't afford to pay Yellow Pages anymore either. I still like my mall idea while you wait.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks peeps. So the ebay deal is just a skin he send you, and you put it on the seat yourself. Hmmmm. Sounds simple. Im a huge D-I-Y guy. I thought it was gonna be a whole seat assembly but thanks again for the info. Im gonna look into this immediately.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Thanks peeps. So the ebay deal is just a skin he send you, and you put it on the seat yourself. Hmmmm. Sounds simple. Im a huge D-I-Y guy. I thought it was gonna be a whole seat assembly but thanks again for the info. Im gonna look into this immediately.

No problem... I am a D-I-Y freak myself. If you have your OEM seats and the foam is in good shape, it wouldn't be hard at all.

I'm going with the covers myself... they are inexpensive and well made... but I don't have any idea who to go to for entire seats. Sorry.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I still like my mall idea while you wait.
You had a great idea about stripping the cover and using an embroidery hoop. Friend owns a T-shirt/trophy shop that makes custom shirts. I called and asked him about it, and he said "we do it all the time bring me your skin"

LOL even though my friend does it for a living i never would have even thought about that had you not brought that idea up. Soooooo this is for you.:thumbup

He did give me a tip to pass on. Figure out what material you want to use and get a sample to the shop. Some materials will stretch to much and will need a backing applied so when you stretch the cover it doesnt leave oblonged shaped holes around the needlework. Very few materials he cant use because most can have a backing applied.

This actually opens up a wide variet iof options for a DIY person. Most fabric shops sell Vinyl and leather in a variety of price ranges. I even have one near me that sells exotic skins. Most will give you a sample so you can go to an embroidery shop to show them what they will be working with. Simple matter of finding the material you want. Obtaining the image(s) and getting the job done.

GREAT now i am thinking about getting custom seat work done. You just cost me money :laugh

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The guy on eBay was asking a lot of questions which I didn't mind. He seemed nervous to sell me one of his "ready made" ones when I told him I was working on a custom bike.

He then had me email him pictures and he decided to send skin and thread samples to my house for approval! He said he would make me a one-off cover to my specs. He acts like he'll do it for the regular price per set $85/$95, but something tells me he's gonna see $$$ if it gets TOO nice!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm not much of a stitching pro, even after the military. Has anyone else considered or used the mall thing I suggested? I'm too lazy to go there myself :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts