TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just gauging interest......

If one were to build a frame for the TL(ala' TS) what would you be willing to pay? Would you want one? Obviously weight loss would be the MAJOR benefit, but also using stock TL bodywork/swingarm/triple's/shock mount locations. Just replacing that heavy ass TL frame.....

:no?

R

·
0 Posts
Depends, what material are we talking about here, moly tubing or big bore aluminium ala Spondon ??

·
Registered
67 Posts
chrome moly trellis,billet swingarm pivots please,

·
Registered
366 Posts
There is a TLS in this months Streetfighter mag over here with a built frame, I will try and post pics.

that would be pretty expensive to do though right:O

R

·
0 Posts
Might have a hard time with that combo unless you're thinking of bolting the trellis frame to the swingarm pivot section. Better, structurally anyway, if its all out of the same material and welded solid.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moly tubing Rupes, I could do the alumnium as well though. Yes, this is a BIG undertaking.....But I weld and build NASCAR/BUSCH frames.

R

·
0 Posts
I've seen prices on frames and they arent cheap, however half the reason is that they also require other custom parts, like fuel tanks, swingarms etc

Just a bare frame in large diameter alloy tubing I'm guessing around $3000-$3500 US :O Cheaper in steel I'd imagine. I'm not sure what the market would pay but thats where it be at to stop me from just trying to do it myself :devious And only if everything lined up 100%, and its structurally sound, welds are good etc and of course its straight and true.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
tlrj said:
Moly tubing Rupes, I could do the alumnium as well though. Yes, this is a BIG undertaking.....But I weld and build NASCAR/BUSCH frames.
Hmmmm.......

PM sent.

R

·
0 Posts
tlrj said:
Moly is good too :D

I've been tinkering with the idea myself, not to sell them just to make one myself. Thinking of all the work involved, making a jig etc etc :(.

The moly tube might be a better idea in terms of getting engine mounts lined up correctly and such. If the tubing is smaller than the original but laid out in a similar fashion you can always make the mounting points slightly larger, however with a large bore alloy tube, the tubing itself may get in the way of where the mounts should go and foul on other parts especially if all the stock gear is to be used.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
You might look at the Terry Shepard frame for price and geometry comparisons. If you are going to use the stock tank, you might want to go with the TLR unit, as i have been told that it is narrower between the knees than the TLS one (check to make sure this is true though).

Also, please do not use the stock TL rear suspension. If building a new frame, how about setting it up to use the same shock as some other popular bike. That way we will have more (and less expensive) shock options. I suspect that some geometry changes could go a long way toward making the TL handle a bit better. Also, if it could be made narrower I belive it would make the bike much more rideable and easier to move around on.

R

·
0 Posts
That kind of thing is already available. I get the idea that this would use all the stock stuff and or its replacement. In my case the JMC swingarm, Penske shock, underseat exhaust setup, Carbon wrapped and painted tank, there's no way I'd ditch all that just to use a different frame. Hell may as well just go buy a different bike. This was my point when I brought it up with Art Davis, and that is a lighter, stiffer, stronger and generally much better made bolt in replacement. Something where you don't have to worry about the integrity of that shitty cast alloy stuff they use around the head stock.

Besides I like the TLS rear suspension idea, having different rates for spring and damper, its just a pity they put a weak as piss spring in it and a shithouse damper in it. TLS suspension upgrades are very competitive with upgrades on other bikes anyway.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like I say..........using all stock equipment except just the frame. What Terry does is beyond tirck/custom:hail Art's bike is the shizzit--PLAIN & SIMPLE.

I'm just throwing around the idea of building frames--the TL/SV being first priority--then maybe an ATV or Two. People buy alot of mods/parts, if they go the TS/Art route those parts are expendable somewhat. I'm thinking frames are next.........

Liablility is also a GREAT concern for me...like rupe states--I want everything to work perfect, perform up to & beyond stock. If I were to buy a frame--I would expect it to be 110% perfect.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Like this?? Chrome-moly trellis frame with billet aluminum swing arm pivots. All TLS stock parts fit, except for the rear shock/damper thingy.

Ciao... JoE.

·
Registered
976 Posts
That frame looks real cool.I wish I had one.:hail

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'd be willing to pay a good amount if you showed me it was stronger, lighter, and more durable than the stock frame. Lighter being very key.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
woody

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
:stupid.i have my plate full with the mods i want to do to my bike ,but i would be in line for something like the pic above in the near future.ive already wasted more than 3000 on mods.with no regrets.like that famous movie quote ."built it and they will come"

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
The UNO frame is absolutely fantastic :yumyum :yumyum :yumyum
But we have to be fair and say it's really very very expensive.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
433 Posts
I did a massive search over Adavis's bike last nite...
Do a search under hisname, I found a lot of useful info.

356 Wet is awesome :hail

1 - 20 of 46 Posts