TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my rear wheel off myself today to get my BT-016s installed (last two times I had a shop R&R the wheels to mount the tires). Found grooves cut/worn/molded (I'm not sure which) in the surfaces which face the sprocket mounting plate of many of the cush drive segments. I can't imagine how they got there since there's really only one way to install the sprocket mount. Take a look at the photos. Should I replace the cush drive when I re-mount the wheel?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you mean the flanged tube that was mounted into the wheel between the wheel and the sprocket mounting plate...no. It was there and undamaged.

But that's certainly got me thinking. Perhaps the assembled distance between the wheel and the mounting plate is insufficient. What would cause that? What does the wheel end of the internal spacer mount against?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
it should mount against the bearing. somethings definitely been rubbing on it. look for rubber or black amrks on the cush drive that slides into that and see where it was rubbing

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
If you mean the cush drive rubbers: These look like worn, but nothing really wrong with them. I'd replace them along with the next chain/sprockets.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you mean the cush drive rubbers: These look like worn, but nothing really wrong with them. I'd replace them along with the next chain/sprockets.

Greetings
Rufer
Yes, I guess it's a question of terminology. I do mean the rubber inserts. I looked at the sprocket mounting plate and I can see rubber dust where it's been wearing at the rubber inserts. 10,000 miles on the inserts. I think I'll replace them with the tire now. No noticable wear/damage on the spacer though. Odd that the rubbers were worn on only one side of the wheel though.

Thanks

·
Registered
531 Posts
I know what you're describing. My cush drive rubbers are the same way...they have grooves worn into the side facing the cush drive. 25k miles. My wear was not enough to concern me. I can't compare to yours yet b/c pix blocked at work. Can take a look later when @ home.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Those are how mine looked after 50,000 miles so I think its normal. I put new rubbers in at that time and they still look new at 65,000.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suppose that when they're compressed the rubber rubs against the back of the sprocket mounting plate. Odd that some aren't worn at all though.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Looks like normal wear to me too.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I decided to replace the rubbers. Of course they didn't have them in stock (which surprised me actually I would think they're in fairly high demand with all the shared models). Good thing Winter's approaching and I'm not too interested in riding in 40 degree weather.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts