TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, what can I say?

Jeff and I had a fantastic time yesterday. The weather was perfect, and the track was bone dry. There was quite a lot of rubber on the outside of the circuit due to cars racing on Sunday, but didn't cause any issues.

The day started off really early, waiting for Jeff at around 6am at Penrith.
CFB's

Jeff arrived in good time, and we made out way to the track. We found a new way to get to Croft from Scotch corner which involved a few twisty corners, and being attacked by a shitload of birds!! (feathered variety)

The day was totally jam packed. Not a spare place in any of the sessions. A few people turned up as reserve, but never got on track. Unfortunately they kind of latched on to us which wasn't too bad, but one of their group was called Mr Gobshite, so I didn't encourage him to speak much and kind of slipped away when he came close! :laugh

First session was just a warm up and to get a feeler for the track again.

After the fist session, Jeff got his suspension set up by 100% suspension. I went along and the guy proceeded to check the sag front and rear. He said to Jeff "who set your rear sag?" I jumped in and said "yep that was me, but I have put the ride height adjuster on since, and that has probably ballsed it up!". He said, "no its spot on"! :banana

After that, Jeff was going much smoother and his lines changed. He was leaving huuuuge dark lines coming out of corners and dragging his left knee at the hairpin.

After lunch, we talked about how far Jeff was hanging off (or wasn't), and we went out again. After a few laps we got to tower which is a 60mph 3rd gear corner, and bingo!! Right knee touch down! :banana

The last session was a 27 minute marathon due to being ahead of schedule. Jeff was determined, and went out. Came in after the session, and both his sliders showed signs of abuse! :devious He said he couldn't help getting them down in that session! That's my boy. :devious

My bike handled like a dream. Apex after apex was hit. No running wide like last time. Different tyres, and upped the comp on the rear, and wound off a bit of preload on the front and added a little rebound, and it was fine. I went much faster than I have ever gone before, and didn't touch pegs down once.

The inters were very quick indeed. There were about 6 of us on road bikes. The rest were on track bikes. Didn't get held up too much, but will deffo book in the fast group next time. :yes

Anyway, here's Jeff doing a pigeon toe pose for the camera!!

And a few tyre pics before and after!

The 2 bikes in "track mode".

To sum up..................the best track day I have done so far. :yes

Roll on next year. :banana

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff bought some from the official photographer, but wont be up for a few days.

He actually printed the photo's, and put them in cardboard frames, and displayed them all. You couldnt buy them on a disc like normal. Jeff bought a few, and I got one (which is getting posted to Jeff's with his). Mine was just for comedic value, with a wave to the photographer while cranked over! :laugh

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Sounds like you had a blast, I think setting up the suspension is a good idea too, think I will get mine done on my next day (prolly Cadwell next year, or a sneaky winter Oulton)

Awesome sliders Jeff, I think you will have micky jealous for sure

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Glad you both had a good day on track, well done jeff with the knee down:hail How much do they charge to set up the suspension? Will they set it up even if you aren't on track:O My bike could do with setting up properly.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It cost £40.

He set it up and could go back as many times as he wanted during the day for that price, giving feedback etc.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I think next time i get out to a track i will have to look out for them. Bike has enough power now so i will have to get the set up better. Never even adjusted the new rear shock yet since i fitted it. Once that is sorted i will have no excuses why im going so slow except i ride like a :jack :laugh :laugh :laugh

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
:hail Glad to hear that the day went well , Dave are you in the "Fast Group" now :O

Jeff you are a star :hail I know how hard it is to get your knee down and to over come the fear of leaning it to far and falling off :hail Much Respect mate :hail

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes Mick, i'll be in the fast group from now on.

At Croft anyway. :yes

Jeff and I had a walk up to the Complex and watched the fast group.

Some of them are actually :thatsgay and they would get spanked in the inters. Not that its about spanking. :devious

·
I was Ukgixxerman
2,072 Posts
i had an excellent day on the track yesterday:thumbup perfect weather conditions:hail it was well worth paying £40 to get my suspension set up:) it did make quite a difference to the handling of my bike,i was going into corners slightly faster/putting the power on earlier going out of the corner and i felt a bit more confident getting my BUTT over on the seat:devious im chuffed to bits about getting both knee's down cause i never thought i would ever acheive it:) :) :)
i lost count of how many people who binned their bikes yesterday(quite a few)poor buggers:O
im severely acheing from head to toe today:dowhat i feel as though ive been hit by a bus:laugh :laugh well worth it though:hail :hail :hail
looking forward to next year to try some different tracks:devious especialy CADWELL again:hail :hail

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
:) Dave an Jeff why do you think so many people binned it yesterday :O

·
I was Ukgixxerman
2,072 Posts
:dunno i wouldnt like to say,maybe cold tires/going beyond their limit/loads of rubber marbles on track:dunno
im just happy that i didnt bin mine:) :) :) and i feel sorry for those who did:banghead

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
Always going to happen on the track, some days run smooth, some run well.
I reckon about 10 come off, think about it 100 approx, bet there are at least 10 incidents and 2 or more red flags.
Nature of the beast, I have been in the 10 % twice :banghead

·
I was Ukgixxerman
2,072 Posts
i know that in the last session of the day,that i was rideing to my personal limit capability and if i'd tried to do any better i wreckon i'd have binned it:O

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
when i went to croft loads of dukes went down early on in the day. all down to cold tyres..... mind you, it was bloody cold.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Really sorry I didn't make it but I only realised on Sunday night my MOT had expired 2 days before. Hence the fact Ive been hooning around on off-roaders :devious

MOT on Thursday :rant

Glad you had fun. Next year Im going on track with ya !!

:hail TLR's

·
I was Ukgixxerman
2,072 Posts
pics

just a few pics that the photographer took on monday at croft:) they arent on disc so i had to copy them:O

and last of all a pic of some poser on a R1:devious :laugh :laugh god knows who it was

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
:) :hail Jeff those pics look well good :hail

And that Poser on his R1 = :crazy :wheelie :wheelie :scared :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts