TLZone Forums banner

crash protection

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  TLJimmy 
#1 ·
whats people got and is there anyone on here i can get a set off??
pics welcome

#2 ·
In the group buy there are "no cut sliders" with pics. Bout 15-16 have it on order.

#3 ·
I have the cut ones... they came with the track plastics when i bought them. :laugh In addition i added a 1/4" steel can sliders after a low side and needing to replace chewed up cans. Not good for the girlish figure of the bike but its cheaper for me to go on a diet then replacing cans. :)

Jesse

#4 ·
Aren't those no cut sliders for the tlr though, my gues is gixxerpuppy is on a S.

On that note I had a set of lsl frame sliders (on my S), I went down on the highway going about 70mph. They did there job, protected the fairings really well, I was able to buff out the worst of the scratches, now you have to be real up close to notice them. The only thing I did not like about them is the mount bolt bent, which screwed up the base of the slider and put a divit in my frame. Not a big deal but it does annoy me, knowing it did that.

#6 ·
Aren't those no cut sliders for the tlr though, my gues is gixxerpuppy is on a S.
:laugh:blush oops... The "s" thing...

#5 ·
I went with R&G with a metal bar which replaces the engine mount bar hopefully will not need to try them out:)

#8 ·
R&G is/was distributed by ema-usa.com . Intuitive products are also very good and pretty UV resistant.

#9 ·
ok R&G it is....funnily enough...ahem...ive just tried to bodge a set of sv 650 ones on...lets just say they dont fit and now wont fit...anything!!:))

#12 ·
What do you want to protect?

The only thing that makes sense to protect on a TLS is the cooler and thus the only crashpad that makes (IMO) sense is the type pictured above.

I have these on my race bike and since I mounted them the cooler always survived. But be careful to not use a M10 bolt without cutting it in. Otherwise it is possible that the pad is torn out of the frame when you slide over something (curb). I always cut the bolts in about 1 to 1.5mm. Another important thing is that the bolt lenght is identical to the stock engine mounting bolts. I now always custom make them because all aftermarket pads I saw had wrong (too short) bolt lengths for at least one bolt.

Compare the bolt lengt with the crashed one:

(can't see the cut-in bolts!)

Greetings
Rufer

#13 ·
where are they from??

#14 ·
How come no one will make a crash cage for the TLR/TLS? Freestyle Ingenuity doesn't even make one....would anyone be interested in one if they did? If so I may get a hold of them to see what it would cost to have them make one....

#15 ·
WHy is it I have seen Frame Sliders mounted in three different place on the TL-S? I have a set and was wondering where to put them (There were no instructions). Now I am more confused as I have seen 3 different locations.

#20 ·
The slider should be long enough to protect the radiator and short enough to not stick too far over the fairings (ideally not over the fairing --> less chance that it catches a curb etc).
I have to measure mine if you want to know a value.

The TLS is slightly asymetric (at least with my cooler :rolleyes ) but you can use the same length for both sides. But the bolt lengths differ.

Greetings
Rufer

#19 ·
Rufer makes a really good point about cutting the bolts - at a hillclimb recently this bloke had a brand spanking Street Triple with sliders with bolts that hadn't been 'knicked'. He low-sided at speed, the slider hit an uneven patch of road and dug in. It bent the frame (****ed it) and flipped the bike. Slider on the other side dug in, bent the frame (well and truly ****ed), and flipped the bike again, smashing top of fgairing etc. The 2nd slider actually tore the frame. So, cut your bolts...:).

#21 ·
when you say cut in, do you mean you cut 1.5mm into the bolt at the snapping point so they break off if they hit a curb??

#24 ·
Yeup. So the bolt will break off, rather than rip a chunk outa the frame, and summersult the bike down the road:devious

#22 ·
:eatcorn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.