TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Hope you can throw your two cents in.

I did start this thread about this problem: http://www.tlzone.net/forums/help-f...s-dumped-seconds-slow-speed-2min-warm-up.html

But I thought I'd start a new thread about it because it's no longer 'just' a seal problem.

It seems that as soon as the engine is under load (i.e. pulling away slowly), the weakest point (the clutch pin seal) blows out and pisses oil out of it. Stationary it's fine.

I have taken the rear plug out and run it on a single cylinder, taking the filler cap off to feel any noticable pressure difference (in case it's leaking pressure from the cylinder).

Any ideas would be great, desperate to get back on the road!

:cheers

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
The clutch seal shouldn't push out unless the retainer is missing ?

Try a leak down test on each cylinder, or even a compression test, but be sure to wedge open the decompressor bob weights if doing the compression test.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers sam! You are a good egg :)

The retainer (that metal plate that also sits under the drive sprocket) flaps around quite a bit and as far as I know, always has had. I do wonder if cleaning the area affected it? There is loads of pressure coming out the oil filler cap, but it kind of chugs out and it's continous (as you'd expect on a V-twin from what I've read).

A leak down test has been done on the rear cylinder, the mechanic passed on doing the front cos it's difficult to get too :dowhat and I don't have the gear myself.

Sorry to be dumb, but can you tell me where the decompressor bob weights are? :dunno

:thumbup

PS I will buy you a pint if ever I'm up your way, for your general help on here :)

·
15,415 Posts
The retainer should be tight, two bolts hold the top section in place, the portion next to the push rod seal gets clamped in place by the generator cover :confused

Decompressor weights are on the exhaust cams :thumbup

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it should be secured better, but like you said, there's only two bolts holding on at the top, leaving the long 4 inch metal strip, dangle down over the clutch pin seal. It's a wank design if if's supposed to do anything. More or less looks like it'll only catch the seal if it blows out, but there's enough room for the seal to fall out slightly and let oil piss out!

You were talking about the clamp, at the bottom of the bracket nearest the clutch pin seal, there's only a bent part of the bracket that looks like it should be against something, but I can't see anything that it can be against, other than the slight lip where the case is up against the main crank case?

Cheers about the weights :thumbup

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just a little addition, but the mechanic did say there was low compression on the rear cylinder, making him think it was either the head gasket or a piston ring.

he said the pressure should be 140-150 but it was 100 somethings :)

·
15,415 Posts
It's impossible for the clutch pushrod seal to come out if the retainer is not bent/broke.

The retainer has a tab that locates in a slot between the cover and crankcase.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Must have been bent then? Surely the seal should stay in without the retainer though?

Didn't see that slot, I'll have a look for it! The mechanic chap didn't mention anything about it...although it's the only TL they've ever worked on :lol

·
15,415 Posts
Must have been bent then? Surely the seal should stay in without the retainer though?
Nope, not with approx 80 psi of oil pressure behind it.........

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahhh. Hmm. Here's a pic (do you think it looks right, or missing something?)

Here's a bigger version if useful.

Here's a pick of the bracket, you can see I've increased the internal diameter to fit the SV1000 seal

·
15,415 Posts
There's the problem

The tab on the bracket has been bent and no longer fits in the slot between the cover and case.

The tab on the bracket should be 2No 90 deg angles

The slot looks to be hidden by gunge.

·
15,415 Posts
Here's a better pic of the retainer in place, to the left of the tab you can see the face step back from the main gasket face, that is the slot created by the generator cover to hold the tab firm :thumbup

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You, my friend, are a ****ing diamond :hail

Really appreciated mate, you may have just saved me several hundred pounds :banana

·
Registered
909 Posts
just a little addition, but the mechanic did say there was low compression on the rear cylinder, making him think it was either the head gasket or a piston ring.

he said the pressure should be 140-150 but it was 100 somethings :)
If it's the first TL they have worked on they may not know about the de-compressors mentioned by Sam . 90-100lbs seems about right then.....

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it's the first TL they have worked on they may not know about the de-compressors mentioned by Sam . 90-100lbs seems about right then.....
Bloody good point geoff, I'll mention it :thumbup

·
15,415 Posts
A leak down test (cylinder pressurised with compressed air) wouldn't be affected by the decompressors as the piston must be at TDC on the compression stroke and the decompressors aren't depressing the shim bucket.

Only an old fashioned compression test where the engine is rotated to get the pressure would be affected :thumbup

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bugger it, already ask them about it! Bit concerning about the pressure issue now though :confused

·
15,415 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it Chris, 100 psi is still good. The exhaust valves do get pitted and start to leak but still good for a few hundred thousand miles yet :laugh

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wouldn't worry about it Chris, 100 psi is still good. The exhaust valves do get pitted and start to leak but still good for a few hundred thousand miles yet :laugh
Cheers matey, that's nice to read :) lol, with my luck, just a few thousand miles left! :laugh

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, the bike is back together after Sam's comments...and.........

..........and.............

.......it's ****ing working again! :banana to think we were thinking of taking the top end(s) off! :dowhat

One thing that does concern me is the cylinder compression, just did it and rear was 130 (no real reving) and 120 on the front (with half rev's). so looks like I should check the valve clearances next. But first...a ride down to the coast me thinks :banana

Thanks Sam, from several hundred miles away, you saw the issue that bike mechanics with 20+ years of experience didn't see. :hail

1 - 20 of 26 Posts