TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In which direction am I to rotate the crank whilst checking valve clearances?

Thanks, Brett

·
Registered
3 Posts
The crank should turn counterclockwise while looking at the engine from the left side.

In other words, it spins the same direction as the wheels when the bike is moving forward.
When trying to spin the flywheel bolt (left side of bike) on my 20001 TL1000R counterclockwise, the bolt came loose.

How am I supposed to spin the engine?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
When trying to spin the flywheel bolt (left side of bike) on my 20001 TL1000R counterclockwise, the bolt came loose.

How am I supposed to spin the engine?
That should not have happened.
Either it was loose and/or missing the thread lock compound. Page 3-45 in the manual shows that bolt is torqued to 160 Nm (115 lb-ft). Even though it is a right-hand-thread bolt, the crank should turn long before that torque is applied to it in the CCW direction. The bolt will need to be reinstalled with threadlocker and the proper torque. The manual calls for "Thread Lock Super 1303," but I'm sure there are other brand equivalents to that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That should not have happened.
Either it was loose and/or missing the thread lock compound. Page 3-45 in the manual shows that bolt is torqued to 160 Nm (115 lb-ft). Even though it is a right-hand-thread bolt, the crank should turn long before that torque is applied to it in the CCW direction. The bolt will need to be reinstalled with threadlocker and the proper torque. The manual calls for "Thread Lock Super 1303," but I'm sure there are other brand equivalents to that.
Lovely.

How should I keep the crank from spinning while I tighten the boot?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Lovely.

How should I keep the crank from spinning while I tighten the boot?
The two options that come to mind....

1) Block the rear wheel with a two-by-four, and put the transmission in gear. Then you can tighten the bolt. However, the force will be going through the transmission and chain slack to the wheel, so you may not get a 'hard stop' on your torque setting. Still, it should work. Feel free to consult the experts for a second opinion.

2) As shown in the manual, remove the stator cover and use a 36 mm wrench on the generator rotor to hold the crank in place while you torque the bolt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts