TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
searched but haven't found any recent posts on the subject, in the process of making the tls a naked bike and when i took the left side faring off got a nice view of the '97 frame crack right by the radiator.

I am atleast the 3rd owner and the bike had been laid down on the right side, my mechanic is going to call suzuki on monday.

Will the age, number of owners or it being laid down on the right side keep suzuki from replacing the frame?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
:stupid

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I hope everything goes well for you (I really doubt it though :banghead )
Those pics following can tell the story and no words needed I think

·
king dork
1,932 Posts
To those that have welded the frame, was there any post weld treatment? Was that necessary? I thought the heat affected zone of the welds has lower strength than the parent material, couldn't this be a potential problem :O

·
Registered
3 Posts
Suzuki replaced my frame about a 1.5 years ago.I was 3rd owner,9000 miles on bike,all stock and original except pipes.The only drawback was I had to pay for the labor,which was about a $1100. I knew the mechanic at the shop and they let me do the labor myself.The frame was cracked on both sides where the radiator mount screw into the frame.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Suzuki replaced my frame about a 1.5 years ago.I was 3rd owner,9000 miles on bike,all stock and original except pipes.The only drawback was I had to pay for the labor,which was about a $1100. I knew the mechanic at the shop and they let me do the labor myself.The frame was cracked on both sides where the radiator mount screw into the frame.
This is good to hear... :thumbup
Not everybody with the same prob had the same handling, though :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gigas, first question for you. What alloy rods did you used to weld your frame? And how much time/ miles ago did you make it? Im curious did there is no any new cracks? b I must do the same thing...
Second thing, I'm just dealing with Suzuki dealers to get recall on my frame. Only problem is, that my bike comming from California but recently and permanently living in the UK!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Gigas, first question for you. What alloy rods did you used to weld your frame? And how much time/ miles ago did you make it? Im curious did there is no any new cracks? b I must do the same thing...
I will disappoint you a bit here as the frame was taken to a welding shop here in Greece and I wasn't given any details about the material they used to fix it.

Another thing is that after the frame was powdercoated, I watch it closely for any new cracks. I haven't seen anything on it but I am not sure if the paint will allow any new cracks to be seen, though :O

It's been welded about 11 months ago and approx 6000 Km.
Another friend who had his frame welded at the same spot (and didn't paint it afterwards) had no problem with it years and many miles after.

Sorry for not being able to provide details :O

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Gigas. Saddly suzuki will not provide me with replacement frame =(. Suzuki shop will weld it for me so I think they will know the right material.
Could anyone tell me how to paste picture into post?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts