TLZone Forums banner

cracked block

Tags
block cracked
2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  n2wheelies 
#1 ·
ok well my block is cracked, where the oil pressure sensor screws into the block the dumbass before me crossthreaded it and rtv'd the area so when i changed the oil i noticed a small crack on both the sides of the unit and procided to investigated and caused it to leak. :coocoo

anybody know what metal the blocks are and what can i do to fix this prob. or should i just part the bike out? i dont have the time or the money to replace the block.
:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

#2 ·
Its aluminum, someone good with a tig can fix it up.

btw its an engine case, the TL doesn't have a block really.

#4 ·
i know this is a ghetto fix but its just a small crack, what about filling it with JB weld for now, i been doin some lookin at it and it looks to be the wrong sensor, someone put it in and it just now started to leak and i made it worse. im on a strict budget (college student) i dont think i could pay to get it welded.

#5 ·
The labor to get the cases ready to weld (if they need to come apart) would be expensive, but the welding itself would likely be very cheap - i've had similar stuff welded for $20.

You can try the JB weld, just keep an eye on oil level - it would be a shame if it leaked out and you lost the motor because of it (or crashed).

Post up a macro shot of the cracked area if you can, perhaps someone will have more specific ideas:O

#6 ·
JB weld can work. Needs to be clean though and probably needs more surface area than you have. I'd lay it on its side so the oil could drain away and go at it with brake cleaner for a couple days to get the area clean and free of oil and silicone. As stated a nice macro focused photo would be nice.

#10 ·
If your gona pull the engine anyway you can prob have it welded by tipping it upside down and cleaning real well with brake clean. I have done this sort of thing myself and works good. some heat absorbing past around the area will retain the heat localy so it will weld easier. ggod luck and dont give up on it just yet.

#11 ·
#13 ·
What has bleach got ot do with your furnace??

Brake cleaner should evaporate completely pretty quickly if the part is warm. If you want to be sureits all gone from every crack, leave it overnight. Used to use carbon tetrachloride, but that's worse to breathe.

#15 ·
great post. i can think of more than one time i could have been in that boat. wow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.