TLZone Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have just been for a tour around Cumbria for a few days and had a blast (once my back straightened out!) but have come back with a couple of niggles...

Should the steering damper have any vertical play in it? If I grip mine and lift it it will move about 5mm up and down at both ends?

Also (this is the good one) there is a strange noise developing, I will do my best to describe.

When pulling away it is a cyclical noise (not grinding but rubbing/air whooshing noise) that increases with speed, it appears to only happen under positive throttle with the clutch engaged.

If I dip the clutch at low speeds it goes away, if i shut off the throttle it stops.

I'm leaning towards gear/clutch or possibly exhaust related (I think the front is blowing slightly)

If I shut off the throttle the bike feels like it dips/knocks slightly as well more than usual?

Appears to happen regardless of gear (tried t in 1/2/3/) at over 20mph the noise has sped up to the point it cant be heard and when moving along all seems well?

Sorry for the slight dark stabbing, but any thoughts on either issue would be good!

Cheers

Si

:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'd start with the easy stuff... :thumbup
"If I shut off the throttle the bike feels like it dips/knocks slightly as well more than usual?"...Do you mean your suspension dips / knocks somewhere?... Check all your chassis bolts front and back, brake rotors / calipers etc, then suspension linkages etc?

"When pulling away it is a cyclical noise (not grinding but rubbing/air whooshing noise) that increases with speed, it appears to only happen under positive throttle with the clutch engaged."...Possibly drive train related? That would maybe be a cyclical noise? Check front and back sprockets nuts and bolts, check your chain alignment and tension etc... Cush drive bearing problem? Chain link issue?

I'd try this first because it rules out your chassis and drive train and it doesn't cost anything...

- after that i'd repost here as you have ruled out quite a lot.

I hope this helps somewhat...

Let us all know how you get on... :yes

Reactions: Turbo Dragon

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
air whooshing noise that increases with speed How long have you had the bike , has the previous owner hacked the air box about , lift the tank and have a look everthings in order , :confused

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
air whooshing noise that increases with speed How long have you had the bike , has the previous owner hacked the air box about , lift the tank and have a look everthings in order , :confused
Thanks for the reply, I've had her over a year and it has just started.

The bike is totally stock (for now) And I have no belief that it has been fettled.

Just seen you're in Sunny Warry, HI!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd start with the easy stuff... :thumbup
"If I shut off the throttle the bike feels like it dips/knocks slightly as well more than usual?"...Do you mean your suspension dips / knocks somewhere?... Check all your chassis bolts front and back, brake rotors / calipers etc, then suspension linkages etc?

"When pulling away it is a cyclical noise (not grinding but rubbing/air whooshing noise) that increases with speed, it appears to only happen under positive throttle with the clutch engaged."...Possibly drive train related? That would maybe be a cyclical noise? Check front and back sprockets nuts and bolts, check your chain alignment and tension etc... Cush drive bearing problem? Chain link issue?

I'd try this first because it rules out your chassis and drive train and it doesn't cost anything...

- after that i'd repost here as you have ruled out quite a lot.

I hope this helps somewhat...

Let us all know how you get on... :yes
Thank you for the pointers.I will start going through the list, haven't checked anything since I got back....

Sorry for the ignorance but what is a cush bearing?

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Thank you for the pointers.I will start going through the list, haven't checked anything since I got back....

Sorry for the ignorance but what is a cush bearing?
Sounds a bit like he means the bearing in the cushdrive/sprocket carrier on the back wheel to me,
2 bearings in the wheel, one in sprocket carrier, HTH

Reactions: Toledo

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regarding the play in my steering damper, I looked at the exploded diagram and to replace the rubber bits and the bearing in the steering damper is over £70 in bits! Has anybody got an idea of getting the bits cheaper or is that the right kind of money to rebuild one?!

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Regarding the play in my steering damper, I looked at the exploded diagram and to replace the rubber bits and the bearing in the steering damper is over £70 in bits! Has anybody got an idea of getting the bits cheaper or is that the right kind of money to rebuild one?!
There's always been loads of play in my steering damper (up and down that is). If that's all you have don't worry about it.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Like Gazza says there's also quite a lot of vertical play in my old OEM one which you can have for postage if you're that worried? It's powder-coated black and has been refilled with fresh oil since I bought the 'bike.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Turbo Dragon , Birchwood , I've heard bikes in the area but not seen many TL's though :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's always been loads of play in my steering damper (up and down that is). If that's all you have don't worry about it.
I spoke to Millenium (local Suzuki) about ordering the parts to rebuild the stock damper.

The nut/bolt in the middle is 30odd quid on its own!

Nearly £75 worth of parts to replace all the tiny little rubbber bits.

Got to love Suzuki!

I must try and grab another one when I spot one to have a wiggle, see if it's much worse than mine. But will probably ignore it for now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turbo Dragon , Birchwood , I've heard bikes in the area but not seen many TL's though :)
Sweet, I work away but my bike stays in Thelwall. My missus is in leigh so go through birchwood quite often. If i spot you i'l give you a wave :2finger

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To all who helped with this. I have found and fixed a few issues and it *appears* to have solved the problem.

Thanks for all the pointers, whilst I was going over I re-oiled and adjusted my chain, repaired a loose panel under the haedlight that was flapping around.

Whilst looking through my owners book it suggested the brake hoses needed periodically replacing so (thanks to another thread) I have got some new braided lines on order. Pads seem ok for now.

Thanks again for all the different ideas, I really enjoyed fiddling and checking over everything as it;s the first maintenance I have done on my TL. :thumbup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts