TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Together with a couple of friends and 2 or 3 yorkshiremen, one who frequents this site, I will be off to

Colliford Tavern
Colliford Lake
StNeots
Cornwall
PL14 6PZ

www.colliford.com

for a long weekend of camping, poodling around and checking out a few local attractions, beer and bullshit if anyone wants to join us.
Core dates are Thursday 14th - Sunday 17th May although some may arrive earlier and/or stay later. :)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Liking the testimonial on the web site from @landlord1975.

I'm wondering what "Arafat really good at breakfast" means.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds cool, sorry that I will miss it... However, at the moment I'm looking for some company for my Europe trip next summer. Everything is arranged and will be visiting Germany, Italy, Spain and France. Gonna take around a month I guess. I will stop in Spain for about a week in order to check a property for sale near Barcelona and then keep going. If you'd like to join I'd enjoy accompanied by 3 biker gentlemen.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, what are the dates for your trip?
Any routes / crossings planned?
What bike you using?

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
I have been trying to make my mind up for this summer for the last few months.
Either.
American canyons and national parks for 3 weeks. Shipping the GSA over.
Alaska on a hired GSA. Up to the Arctic circle.
Iceland touring the western fjords and mountains, camping with a little rough camping out in the wilds.. Shipping the GSA over.
I've now decided to do the Iceland tour. 2nd half of August. There will be some off roading on gravel roads here and there. Sooo looking forward to this.
America or Alaska next year.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Had an interesting time once chasing an articulated tanker lorry on the roads around the Hoover Dam. Granted we were in a rented Nissan Micra but that truck was shifting. Never knew you could get one around the twisties quite so rapidly. Then again, most of the truckers we met on that trip were wired off their t*ts on speed so maybe it didn't seem quick to the guy driving.

Anyway, some pretty cool roads around that part of the world. Definitely worth another trip.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been trying to make my mind up for this summer for the last few months.
Either.
American canyons and national parks for 3 weeks. Shipping the GSA over.
Alaska on a hired GSA. Up to the Arctic circle.
Iceland touring the western fjords and mountains, camping with a little rough camping out in the wilds.. Shipping the GSA over.
I've now decided to do the Iceland tour. 2nd half of August. There will be some off roading on gravel roads here and there. Sooo looking forward to this.
America or Alaska next year.
Is it that much cheaper to ship the bike over then?

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Is it that much cheaper to ship the bike over then?
No. Bloody expensive. Just want to do it on my own bike. I'm not even sure if you can get a ferry there to take your vehicle with you.

Looked it up. There is one from hirtshalls in Denmark. 2 days to get to hirtshalls. Then 3 nights on the ferry..
Bugger that. Only runs once a week. Then the same to get home. Would probably cost more too.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
seen this? .................

https://adventure-spec.com/tracks/hard-is-it-get-adv-bike-iceland/

and the requirements from Iceland to take your bike? .....

https://www.icelandaircargo.com/products-and-services/vehicles/

**** all that crap...hire one mate..
No need to hire one. Bike is shipped on a container complete with all my gear before I go. Fly over. Pick up bike in the morning. Have holiday with a group of like minded people.
Finish holiday have a last night in a hotel then fly home and the bike is shipped back after I get home.
All in all pretty simple really.
Must remember to fit the TKC80's before taking it to the port. :laugh

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
seen this? .................

https://adventure-spec.com/tracks/hard-is-it-get-adv-bike-iceland/

and the requirements from Iceland to take your bike? .....

https://www.icelandaircargo.com/products-and-services/vehicles/

**** all that crap...hire one mate..
£3.000 or there abouts to hire a bike for 12 days. That's an R1200gs
It drops to about £2,400 if I go for a baby vstrom or similar. Still cheaper to ship my bike over at a little over a grand
All I have to do is take it to hull and pick it up from there when it arrives back.

And I know my bike after 106.000 miles on it. : thumbup

I think you may have misunderstood your second link. That appears to refer to someone importing a bike to Iceland from Europe by air, not taking your own bike over for a holiday and returning it.
The company we use ship the bikes by sea in a container.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts