TLZone Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s best for controlling coolant temp a 185 temp sensor for the fans or the fan switch mod?? Pros and cons

·
Registered
635 Posts
A replaceable sensor in the radiator is the best in my opinion. If you go over to TL Planet, and search, there are several sensors that can be used to replace the stock one. I say the sensor, as you won't ever forget to turn on the fans. The sensor I used turns the fans on around 190 degrees. Oh, and there's no additional wiring (potentially) for the sensor as compared to the switch option.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A replaceable sensor in the radiator is the best in my opinion. If you go over to TL Planet, and search, there are several sensors that can be used to replace the stock one. I say the sensor, as you won't ever forget to turn on the fans. The sensor I used turns the fans on around 190 degrees. Oh, and there's no additional wiring (potentially) for the sensor as compared to the switch option.
Kinda what I was leaning to thanks for the input

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,540 Posts
.... there are several sensors that can be used to replace the stock one. ..... Oh, and there's no additional wiring (potentially) for the sensor as compared to the switch option.
+1 on what Rick says. (y)

Unless you live in a very hot/humid environment, the cooler activation point of an alternate sensor switch should be more than adequate.
With the rear head and exhaust directly under the seat, the heat from a TL is going to be felt. There is no escaping it, but it can be minimized.

If you still want to add a manual switch to the mix, just wire it in parallel with the existing thermal switch. Then you can turn the fans on early if desired, or if you forget, the thermal switch will do its job as usual at the normal temp.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I bought one of these for both my TLR's. Plug in deal which took less than 5 minutes to hook up. I've been very happy with how they function.

·
Registered
40 Posts

I bought one of these for both my TLR's. Plug in deal which took less than 5 minutes to hook up. I've been very happy with how they function.
Me too, works a treat in the warmer climes of Australia, as was suggested in a previous comment.
All my bikes have one fitted, so I guess I must like 'em.
It also comes in handy when working on the bike while motor running, to keep temps reasonable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts