TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Halfords premix stuff ok, or does it have silicates (reputed to screw the water pump) in it?

If no good, what is? :O

Just keen to get it back together again :)

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
what the hell are silicates?
i use an ordinary premix from the local car shop. i haven't inspected my waterpump so can't comment if the silicates have bolloxed it:O

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Silicates are basically bits of sand and slightly abrasive. They do some good but I don't remember what it is. The green stuff usually has a small amount of them in it (but not enough to hurt anything imho). The red/orange/yellow stuff usually doesn't.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
I use Halfords stuff, there are 2 types............one more expensive than the other & you can't mix the two together, can't remember what the diff' is. I use it in our cars and the Tillis, still change it once a year tho'.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Never had to change any on any of my bikes but i do remember reading a while back that the coolant must be suitable for alloy engines or it can cause corrosion inside. I think thats right:O

·
Registered
128 Posts
Never had to change any on any of my bikes but i do remember reading a while back that the coolant must be suitable for alloy engines or it can cause corrosion inside. I think thats right:O
I've just flushed my rad and used the expensive Halfords coolant. Mix 50/50 (max) with distilled water. It is suitable for aluminium heads. Best bit is that it is a lovely fluorescent pink.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I've just flushed my rad and used the expensive Halfords coolant. Mix 50/50 (max) with distilled water. It is suitable for aluminium heads. Best bit is that it is a lovely fluorescent pink.

easy to spot when the mechanical seal goes then:O :laugh

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Gazza...............where the fook did you find that smilie :confused :laugh

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I use the same stuff as Birdface, it's easy to spot any leaks with!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts