TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us that ride in cooler weather for part of the year. Lets use 50 deg F as an example.

I've ridden with the michelins for a year and never slid during street riding(mild cornering under maintenance throttle only). Pilot Power has been where its at. Very nice work on grip.... and durability.

I can say for sure that the Dunlop Qualifier falls short of the Pilot Power under the same conditions. I've slid twice on them now in the last few weeks. Tonight being the second time. I almost ate it tonight. Seriously. Even when it was a little warmer I don't get the same planted feeling like I did with the Pilot Powers.

Anyway, I pulled into the drive and took a look at the tires and sure enough I saw the evidence of that slide right on the tire shoulder. No I'm not railing the turns here.

If you can't decide between these tires, let me help you. If you ride when its cooler, the Q's are gonna bite you. I can't say anything about hot weather performance anything other than the reviews I've read in magazines and online. The general sense of the reviews is that the new Q's are... ALMOST as good as Pilot Power. So what I've found supports that.

I agree with what I've read. They are ALMOST as good as the Michelins. No thanks. Give me my Michelins.

No trackdays for me until I get Powers on this thing.

I don't usually like to present things in absolute black or white, but in this case I have to. The Q's just don't challenge the Powers.

·
Registered
967 Posts
LiononaLeash said:
I don't usually like to present things in absolute black or white, but in this case I have to. The Q's just don't challenge the Powers.

Same conditions, same rider, and same bike. I absolutely take your word on this. No need to feel afraid to come out as arrogant in your statement.

And I am sure you'll be helping guys that live in the cold weather choosing tires in the future. Hecka, I live in CT and that was good info for me as well!

Later

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
BBorges said:
Same conditions, same rider, and same bike. I absolutely take your word on this. No need to feel afraid to come out as arrogant in your statement.

And I am sure you'll be helping guys that live in the cold weather choosing tires in the future. Hecka, I live in CT and that was good info for me as well!

Later
Actually it's... same conditions, same rider, new bike with about 40 more hp and weighs a lot less than the old one :)
I haven't tried the Q or power, but from my experience the Dunlops don't work well when it's cold.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah Ryan,

new bike. oh... one other thing. The speeds were well under 30mph too. again... shouldn't make a big difference, I'm NOT adding throttle at the places where the slides have been taking place, I'm just turning the darn thing. So, the 40 more hp doesn't come into play here.

·
Registered
676 Posts
OMG! Tonight I almost wiped out on my TLS due to my crappy tires. These BT020's are junk. I gave them LOTS of time to warm up, even then I could feel them sliding in a corner.

I rode tonight at less than 50 degree temp and they were scary to be on. Which michelins do you think would best fit me and my style. I am 200 lbs, pretty laid back rider but I like to push it once in a while. And I ride spring, summer and fall so a tire that works well in cool temperature is a must!

Also, what RPM is the TLS supposed to run at 55mph? I run about 3100-3200 rpms. Not sure if it is stock gearing but this thing pulls the front tire in the first 3 gears under hard throttle. Also, it will spin the tire going in to the next gear if you are really getting on it.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Lion, I belive ya - worst tire I ever used in the cold was a D207, downright scary (and cost me some plastics:banghead):thumbup

TLS addict, BT020's are touring tires, they are not at all junk just probably the wrong tire for you. I wore a rear 020 out some time ago and while it wasn't the best tire I ever used, its far from the worst. Most any tire is going to have a lot less grip at 50 deg than at say 90 deg and its harder to get them warmed up. Just riding along, not pushing it won't really heat them up much in colder weather. You would probably like a pair of powers much better - they'd be cheeper than new plastics too:)

If ya want to stick with long lasting ST rubber try the avons. They stick much better than the 020's imho.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I picked up a Q and have been having good luck with it thus far. This mornings commute put the temp at 36 degrees, and after about 5 minutes of warm up I started thrashing. Took the long way to work, and the tire didn't slide at all. I throttle through turns, but not too much as to be able to spin the bike out on a 208 ( although it could be close ). I haven't ridden on a power yet, def going to be my next tire to see what all the rave is about

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
I wasn't saying it was anything you did Bob.
Just clarifying for BBorges that it wasn't the exact same conditions with different tires being the only factor.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Well heres what i have heard...New R6s come with Qs and aftermarket q and factory q is two different beasts...two different compounds...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Defender said:
Well heres what i have heard...New R6s come with Qs and aftermarket q and factory q is two different beasts...two different compounds...
That is exactly right! The stock Q's are made of a harder compound for mileage reasons. The aftermarket Q's are softer and more predictable than the Pilots especially when they start to wear. Dunlop has come a long way since the 207's.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welp, by making two different tires of the same name(one supposesdly inferior and the other supposedly not), they have succeeded in disuading me from giving them another try. I'm going back to Michelin.

So if what you guys say is true, Dunlop in this case has successfully shot themselves in the foot.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Pirelli Diablo strada's hands down great tire. went through a set this summer loads of grip and great wear about 6,000 miles. Put a new set on and went on a two day 1000 mile ride, Average temp was 50 degrees and rode in wet weather in the upper 30's tires never slipped once or gave a feeling of uneasiness.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
They did the opposite with the Metzelers fitted OEM on the TL. The TL was fitted with softer MEZ1's (race) than what you could buy off the shelf.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The tread pattern of the factory Q's are different than the aftermarket Q's, the front are at least. Why did Dunlop do that? My roomate bought an 06 R6 and it came with Q's on it, he's hit the canyon's about four times now and the tires look like track tires, little tar balls all over and the look shreaded.
I have a set of Q's on my TLR and they have been good so far but I drive in nothing colder than 60 degrees, gotta love San Diego weather! But I most definetly will be picking up a new set of Pilot Power CT2 dual compond tires next time.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
LiononaLeash said:
Welp, by making two different tires of the same name(one supposesdly inferior and the other supposedly not), they have succeeded in disuading me from giving them another try. I'm going back to Michelin.

So if what you guys say is true, Dunlop in this case has successfully shot themselves in the foot.
Lion its pretty much true with very factory tire out there...Yamaha, Kawi, Suz, Hon and etc. ain't gonna put out no high end tire from the get go cause it will not cost effecient for them...they buy tires from the lowest bidder and thats just how that goes...I think MV is the only company that has genuine PPs from the showroom floor...I know that my R6 and my old Gixxer6 came with genuine D207s:laugh ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts