TLZone Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at changing out my sprockets and getting a kit that will help me get the front tire off the ground a little easier (yee-haw). Without giving myself too much to handle, what would be the best set-up for me and where should I look at buying it? Also, should I look at having a shop install it for me or does anyone have a "how-to" guide that they can share. Thanx.
:wheelie

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I'd look around, we just had a thread on what sprocket ratios people like running.

So far as doing it yourself or a shop. Well, you'll need the chain breaker/press tool, which is about $80 or so. That's pricey but you'll never have to pay a shop to do a chain again for you....and you'll do all your friends chains. The chain and sprockets are easy enough to do yourself if you've got the tool. I'd bet any shop would charge at least $80 to do the swap for you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wicked!! Found the posting on sprockets. Is it pretty easy to break/press the chain? I guess I'm worried about messing my chain up or not being able to retighten it to specification. Also, next dumb question, what is the difference between a 520 and a 530 conversion kit? Thanx.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
5xx = 5/8"

x20 = 1/4" (2/8")

x30 = 3/8"

x25 = 2.5/8" or 0.313"

(i.e 4xx = 4/8" or 1/2" pitch or a 6xx = 6/8" or 3/4" pitch etc)

(width = the distance between the inside of the inside plates too.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts