TLZone Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a guy locally selling one for a decent price... and I've been wanting to get a dual sport for a while now.

Anyone own one? Good bikes?

The main thing I'm concerned with is the lack places to use it around here. The mountains are not that far away though.

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
lot's of DRZ owners on here. since it can't be licensed for the street (not without a kit and some inspection hassle) the mountains would be prolly the only place you'd use it. The DRZ-S is street legal though if you wanted to go that route. alot of the hot E power making mods can be bolted over onto the S from what i understand.

-:banana

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's the E converted to the street. Luckily he already got the inspection done already. Lots of work done too, already has aftermarket pipes, wheels, etc.

How reliable are these things? I'm afraid a single cylinder is not going to last too long.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
The DRZ is far from the last word in race performance as they are too soft, too heavy and don't have mondo power. Don't take this to mean they are turds though. They are excellent "serious trailbikes" with smooth strong midrange power and lots of revvability. They are not explosively powerful though, at least not unless you throw your checkbook at the motor with big bore kits and cams, etc.

The DRZ has an innate ability to cover gnarly ground at a good rider's 80% pace for hours without unduly tiring the rider. Push for that last bit of speed to get up to race pace and they will tire you out right quick. Ya gotta be honest with yourself about what you want it for. I consider the front forks on my DRZ, with one step stiffer springs and Silkolene oil in them, to be the finest off road forks I have ever ridden behind. They remind me of my '87 CR250. Plush city in rocks and such.

The DRZ is reliable. I change oil every 300 off road miles using Rotella T, do the filter and ride it some more. And adding a Yosh exhaust really wakes up the throttle response. The engine holds 2 quarts of oil and it is a solidly constructed unit. This makes it a bit heavy, but it also makes it reliable and low maintenance :)

I would not pay much over 3K for a used one though, even if it is in perfect shape and nicely modded. Too many off road bikes available that are later and greater. They are selling new '06 WR450s on Thumpertalk for $6,100 plus $245 shipping :hail Seems the '07 model has an aluminum frame and they are blowing out the '06. That pushes the prices for used dirt bikes down.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics to entice you :laugh

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the post.

The price is well below 3k and I don't plan on doing any racing with it. Just want a bike to go have fun at the local dirt track park that I can also play with on the street.

My main concern is the amount(or lack of) power. Coming from a 115hp TL, it might suck, lol

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
I think you will like the power fine. Put a Yosh pipe on it and make sure it is jetted correctly and it will be snappy. Go on the DRZ forum on Thumpertalk if you get it. Lots of information there.

The interesting thing about the DRZ, on the street it won't feel overly poweful but the nastier the terrain, the more powerful it feels. They bark pretty good in the midrange if you have a load on them. That's torque for ya I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts