TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding a GS750 for a friend at work. The problem is, Suzuki cannot give a for sure date on when one will be available. Wiseco sells an aftermarket gasket that is for a 2mm over bore engine. My question, what are the downfalls of using the 2mm over gasket on a stock bore engine? We are talking 1mm off on each side of the diameter, so it's not a lot of room. I know it will seal fine, I am just worried about the combustion by products building up in this un sealed area around the head.

Is it something to be completely worried about? This is a broke ass friend who just wants the bike to run. I told him I would not reuse the head gasket and this is pretty much the last alternative.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I don't know:O If the origional gasket is an aluminum-crush type I'd spray it with copper gasket spray and re-use - I've done it before and never had a problem. If its paper/cardboard type stuff then defo don't want to re-use.

I'd probably check around a bit more, someone's got to have a simple head gasket in stock, perhaps cometic or athena?

good luck

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
You can get a copper gasket made by supplying the old one. You will have to retorque it though. Some places will even make a MLS gasket. It's not terribly cheap, but then the OEM probably isn't either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
post on thegsresources.com and see if someone there has one for you.

Actually, I'll check my GS parts tonight. I've got a Suzuki OEM one that I think is from a 1000, but may fit a 750.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
not sure if this helps but I use a process called "anealing" at work on copper gaskets for reaction vessels.

if the head gasket is copper, simply get yourself an ethonal alcohol bath, heat the gasket up to orange hot, not yellow any brighter, if you see green in the flame you are TOOO HOT. just heat it up until it starts to glow and then quench it in the alcohol.

this process cleans and softens the copper so it will squishinto place when the head bolts are torqued. I have no idea if the TL uses copper head gaskets, but alot of lawn mowers and John Deere engines do... and this is a way to reuse the gasket.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Try to talk to some mechanical contractors and ask if there is any companies that will make gaskets.

http://www.ohiovalleygasket.net/main/

This is a place we use quite a bit to remake old gaskets that are too fargone to be reused in pieces of mechanical equipment.

my .02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts