TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for the computer guys, well the ones that know a lot more than me :lol (chucks_net this is for you :thumbup)

I'm surrently running a custom setup on my computer. P3 2.8GHz, 2G RAM, and a 40GB HD. I'm looking for more space...I've got about 5GB left. I was thinking of adding a 2nd HD rather than upgrading to a bigger one and having to transfer all the crap. What would you guys reccommend? How would I go about setting this up? thanks!!

Will

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Plug it in, set the bios to auto detect on boot, format it and create the directories of your choice.

(It'll probably bump other drives down a letter too - i.e if your cd/dvd or whatever is no d: it'll become e: but that's fixable too.)

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
all my computers run two drives, its the way to go :thumbup
I assume the your computer runs ATA so it should just be a matter of setting the drive to slave (this is a little plastic jumper that's actuallly on the drive, some drives come already set as this). plugging it in, and windows should do the rest.

-:banana

·
Registered
598 Posts
If you only have ond hard drive and not more than 2 CD/DVD drives you can add a harddrive in general.

There are two interfaces for hard drives.
SATA cable and IDE cable.

SATA is much faster but is only on computers made in the last few years.

I would highly reccomend a Seagate 7200.10 series hard drive. It has a five year warranty that just requires the drive, no special docuementation. This model has new perpendicular recording technolgoy that performs excellent and should provide a longer drive life. They sell the drive in both SATA and IDE formats. So you need to open up your computer and check if you have SATA or not before you buy one.

To setup, plug in and format. Done :)

Seagate has free tools specifally for formatting drives. But a windows install disk can also do this.

I am currently running 6 seagate hard drives on 3 of my computers. None have failed. I had a heat problem when I placed 4 of them in clsoe proximity of each other. But I solved that with a 20 inch fan :) hehehehe.

I build computers on the side for friends and family for fun so feel free to ask me any further questions, I wont get annoyed.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the one hard drive, and one dvd burner, and thats it. I'm pretty good with computers, I pieced this one together myself from tigerdirect.com and set her all up, and I'm sure I could add the HD, but I thought I'd ask incase there were any problems I might run into.

now just gotta get a drive and hook her up. I got a 40 cuz I thought i'd be enough ya know? now with all my music and such I have 5 left :lol

·
Registered
534 Posts
sata is Theoretically faster but hard drives can't even fully saturate an ATA bus..
You're driving on the AUTOBAHN but your car can only get up to 55MPH.

another thing is that you want to use the NEW DRIVE as your primary drive..due to larger hard drive cache, possible RPM's being faster than your 40gig And Aureal density..
a New drive is going to be much faster and your system is being choked by the speed of that 40 gig.

it's very easy to copy everything over from the 40 to your new drive..all new drives come with software to Easily get it done.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I thought two 300GB drives would be enough for me... I filled them up in 2 days....

Now I have four 300GB and I'm no longer in college so it takes longer to downlaod stuff but I only have 270 GB free after deleting a ton of movies and such. Each drive is reduced to 279GB due to formatting.

You can never have enough space :)

I thinkg 320GB or 400GB is the sweet spot for pricing on newegg.com right now. Just figure out the GB per dollar value and you'll know what to get.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have one hard drive for my operating system and main projects then another dedicated to nothing but pictures. I'm big into photography and 500-600 shots over the weekend is nothing for me. The second is very easy to install, plug and play basically.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
You can save a few bucks by ordering an OEM bare drive from Newegg and downloading the utility to transfer files from the manufacturer. I like Seagate drives. A 320GB with 16 mb cache and 7,200 rpm cost under $100 at Newegg :)

When you get your two drive setup going, put your swap file and temp internet cache on the second drive.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I have 2 drives as well. One raptor 36gb 10000rpm and one hitachi 250gb. Works pretty good, alltho I think it's this particular setup giving hickups while playing games and listening to mp3 (Q3, winamp) at the same time. If anyone has a clue how to fix the hick up.. I'm all ears!

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Sounds like you already have enough options but to be even easier, buy yourself a usb external harddrive at 250MB or a lacie 250MB firewire drive.

If you get a firewire drive you will need to install a firewire card into your system.

Xp should detect the card just fine, connect the cable to the external and start filling it up. Five minutes tops. This will also give you an extra firewire port for digital imaging and other devices.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts