TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah yes, remind me again why I love computers...

Some how I wound up with a corrupted registy and all files with an .EXE extension were not recognized. The result was that very little would run on the computer. I've managed to fix the registry so that all .EXE files are working properly but I'm left with a bit of a problem. All my shortcuts became .LNK files when the .EXEs went belly up. As I understand the problem this is SOMETIMES fixed when the .EXE problem is corrected, but not always and of course not in my case. So I opened a file, clicked on Tools/Folder Options/Files types. I then created .LNK and associated it with "shortcuts", which is supposed to fix the problem. It didn't. I also find that there are no shortcuts in the "Program Shortcuts" file in C: Windows/Programs. I've reached the extent of my knowledge here (actually, I probably exceeded it just getting this post up :laugh). Does anyone know how I get my shortcuts working again? :banghead

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
if you can read the hard drive....

copy any data you want to save...

Fdisk the drive and blow it away... start with a fresh install.

I'm saying this because its going to take less time than to find and fix the problem in alot of cases.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I agree with Liononaleash...
Save data to the other drive (i always split my drive into 2 partitions for this reason exactly)
Reloading is much quicker than finding the problem....

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:doh :argh I figured it would come to this. :banghead I really do hate:firecomputers.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Hold on. If you running Windows XP you can do a "RESTORE". It's real easy, I've done it a few times and it fixes my problems.

Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore

It should be self explanatory. If it doesn't work you can put things back as they were before you did the restore.

It doesn't affect your data files.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts