TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was doin some work on my bike and I came across this and I really do not know what to think. I just worked on the chain about a month ago, and this was not there. I haven't dropped it or anything since then. I know my cans are kinda loose, but they do not vibrate this much. I was wondering if anyone had seen anything like this before and could tell me what the hell happened.

I know I am gonna have to replace the swingarm, and while my wallet is gonna feel the pain, i've accepted it. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what happened so I can prevent it from happening again.

DSC01451.jpg
left side of the swingarm

DSC01453.jpg
left side can. wear marks match up with wear marks on swingarm

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Where exactly on the swingarm is this :O I can't figure it out from this angle's picture...

Too loose chain which in combnation with the vibrating can and they touch on each other? Didn't you hear or notice any grinding sound?

Any marks on the chain? Polished or round edges maybe?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, this is on the outside of the swingarm. basically it looks like someone took an angle grinder and raped the back end of my bike with it by shoving it between the muffler and the swingarm. Unless the chain hopped outside of the swingarm and then back on without me noticing....

I did lose my gremlin bell a few weeks ago......

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
So, it's the can touching the swingarm, then...
Look at this picture and see how far the left can is sticking out and away from the swingarm for chain clearance reasons...

Has your bikebeing laid down on its left side, that made the pipe get closer to the swingarm and bent also the passenger's rearsets where they mount on? Or the rearsets are removed and you use some other brackets that are shorter than the OEM?

Do you have any picture of your bike with the cans on and from that angle?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Dude that doesn't seem possible... Have you pissed anyone off lately?

So, it's the can touching the swingarm, then...
Look at this picture and see how far the left can is sticking out and away from the swingarm for chain clearance reasons...

Has your bikebeing laid down on its left side, that made the pipe get closer to the swingarm and bent also the passenger's rearsets where they mount on? Or the rearsets are removed and you use some other brackets that are shorter than the OEM?

Do you have any picture of your bike with the cans on and from that angle?
Gigas, I owe you a beer... that has always bothered me on my bike... figured it must've happened from being layed down or something....

It still bugs me, but at least I know why it's like that now!

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Glad you sorted it, now wash/check your bike more often and things like that will be spotted well before it hurts your wallet :devious

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont think i've pissed anybody off, not anybody near me anyways. my ex lives about 200 miles away, and if she tried to play with an angle grinder shed probly take her own head off. and yeah, the can is sittin closer to the swingarm than stock from where i laid it down, but still, it only moves about a millimeter up and down, and the aluminum on it doesn't seem strong enough to wear down the metal on the swingarm. so unless this was just some random punk screwin around and messin up my bike, and i hope he burns in hell for that, then i still have no idea what could have caused this.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Looks like the can rubbed though the swinger to me. The can is aluminum and the swinger is aluminum, both have holes in them. That rivet is probably harder metal (steel or Ti) and you can even see a little divot in the swinger that looks up to match up to that rivet on the can.

As for only moving a mm, the can may not move much but the swinger moves about 4" up and down and probaby flexes side to side by a mm or two.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Don't forget to fix the cause of the problem, ie the bent left side exhaust header :thumbup

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for that. thats what happens when ya get run off the road doin 80. it was either pull a 'sidestand' into the grass, or become a permanent hood ornament on a nissan titan. although at the combined speed of 160, i probly woulda given him a nice new red custom paintjob as well. got lucky though, all it did was trash the handlebars, the radiator, and the gear shifter, along with random soft tissue damage, but that heals a lot cheaper than a bike does.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
every bump removes material when they are touching,kinda reminds me tho of a dumb chick i knew who pulled her pinto into the shop and said,its makin' a funny noise ! well the discs on the front were wore clear thru and there was a ring of metal left clanging as she drove along

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The front section of the swinger is cast but the square section I think is probably extruded. Welding works fine but cheap used swingers show up pretty often

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my TLS when I had a full system on it. The hangers were not adjusted right so when the rear swing arm compressed it hit the bottom of the exhaust in almost the same spot. I've got a divot in my swing arm as well, but no where near to that extent. I just bent the muffler hangers out to the side a bit more and it fixed the problem. Fitting a Bitubo shock with the correct preload helped as well.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The front section of the swinger is cast but the square section I think is probably extruded. Welding works fine but cheap used swingers show up pretty often

1 - 20 of 26 Posts